Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I haven't really gone off coffee....

(18 Posts)
dcb Fri 23-Oct-09 06:25:25

Should I be worried? Only 6 wks and I'm sure I didn't really enjoy it with my first pg. I'm having a half full/half decaff small cup (cafetiere) in the morning and just the odd weak tea later in the day. Had a MC earlier this year so feeling a bit nervous about everything this time round. Can someone hold my hand please?

dcdb i would not worry about it when my smoking midwife visits me at home she is the one asking for fresh coffee! Not decaf smile

One coffee a day is fine as far as I know and at 26+5 i still enjoy coffee most days and my baby seems fine!

Enjoy! grin

LaCerbiatta Fri 23-Oct-09 08:31:39

Hi dcb. Are you worried your cravings are different and therefore something may not be right with this pregnancy?

Well, if it helps, my cravings are very different this time round (i'm now 22w). First time I couldn't stand still water, only drank sparkling. Also I craved ice cubes, which I wouldn't dream of eating now... I've gone off chocolate, unless it is really sweet (I usually only like dark) whereas before i didn't really fancy anything sweet.

Maybe you're just having a different sex? smile

Also, imo, 6 weeks is too early for cravings, you're probably just a bit worried! [smile0

LaCerbiatta Fri 23-Oct-09 08:32:50

Meant to say I had a girl first time and am now pregnant with a boy

Hiya, I started a thread on not wanting coffee yesterday - just wanted to say that not everyone goes off it (afaik most of my antenatal group are fine with it) and cravings are definitely different with different pregnancies!

Plus at 6 weeks I didn't have that many pg symptoms yet, I think in the next couple of weeks you'll probably start to see more symptoms... sickness, constipation, exhaustion, moodiness, food aversions and cravings, etc... but you may be fine with coffee throughout, doesn't mean anything! Try not to worry.

Best of luck with your pregnancy.

LaCerbiatta Fri 23-Oct-09 08:50:20

I didn't go off coffee at all with either pregnancies. I actually found it really hard to cut down in the first 3 months!

valbona Fri 23-Oct-09 09:48:02

I have a tiny (I mean tiny) cup of killer strong coffee every day. bliss grin

Walnut8 Fri 23-Oct-09 11:44:47

I only went off coffee when my morning sickness started at around 6-7 weeks. A pregnant girl I know however still drinks a proper espresso coffee a day and her baby is fine.

ThisPhantomPlopsPumpkins Fri 23-Oct-09 11:48:41

I haven't gone off of it either.

I started on decaff but was told to bin it by midwife because it's worse than regular stuff, something to do with the chemicals used to strip the caffeine being worse than the actual caffeine or something.

I only had 1-2 cups a day in the first trimester.

fiziwizzle Fri 23-Oct-09 12:05:03

I haven't gone off anything at all which has made it that much harder to cut things out... I'm still drinking one proper cafetiere coffee a day and a couple of cups of tea too. I did switch to decaff coffee in the first trimester but then read that the chemicals used to strip the caffeine are harmful in themselves, and with huge relief went back to proper grin

woowa Fri 23-Oct-09 12:36:25

I can recommend hasbean coffee company if you'd like real (beans or ground) coffee which has been water decaffeinated (so no nasty chemicals). See www.hasbean.co.uk/

Well worth buying a coffee grinder if you love real coffee!

flyingcloud Fri 23-Oct-09 17:33:04

I still drink a cup a day and a cup of tea. I got such bad caffeine withdrawal headaches that I decided to go with the (small) risk.

blondieminx Fri 23-Oct-09 17:40:21

my mum drank strong coffee (several cups) all the way through when pg with both me and then my sister and we both turned out ok! If you still fancy it then enjoy. I think your body tells you what it does/doesn't need. I'm hoping that explains why at 28 weeks I'm drinking gallons of strawberry milk... blush grin

Stormfly Sat 24-Oct-09 10:07:17

Or if anyone wants an instant coffee that's decaffed without chemicals, try Clipper organic.

woowa Sat 24-Oct-09 17:17:15

ah - i didn't know that!

easylife73 Mon 26-Oct-09 14:50:03

I went off coffee with DS1, the smell I found especially revolting. With DS2 I didn't go off it at all, and found that if I hadn't felt him move for a while, a quick cup of instant and he'd be jumping about exactly 20 minutes later. Drank gallons of tea with both of them though - didn't realise there was a problem with tea?

anniemac Mon 26-Oct-09 15:36:11

Message withdrawn

dcb Tue 27-Oct-09 07:11:18

Thanks everyone. I've had MCs this year and am just worrying really, about anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now