Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Where is this thick shiny hair I'm supposed to have??

(14 Posts)
Walnut8 Thu 22-Oct-09 10:49:48

I keep reading how nice and thick my hair should be while pregnant. Mine has gone incredibly lank, oily (have to wash everyday now instead of every few days) and looks like it may have thinned a little (although I'm not sure if this is just because it is so lank).

Do I have some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency that hasn't been picked up (or hormonal prob) or is this not as uncommon in pregnancy as I'm led to believe??

pippel Thu 22-Oct-09 11:03:34

I didnt get it, did get loads of spots both times though which hardly seems to compensate grin

I was very badly anemic the second time and came close to having a transfusion but I dont think that the two things are connected

MrsMills Thu 22-Oct-09 11:07:21

It maybe worth getting your iron levels checked, this is often a reason for thinning hair.

But the thick, shiny hair in pregnancy is overrated, it'll just block up your plugs when it falls out after you've had the baby shock

TigerFeet Thu 22-Oct-09 11:09:30

the best you could ever say about my hair whilst pg was that it was slightly less wispy

unfortunately not everyone has wonderful pregnancy hair

Walnut8 Thu 22-Oct-09 11:24:03

I've read that about iron MrsMills but my iron levels are strangely quite high (midwife asked if i was taking supplements - which im not).

My hair is usually quite frizzy and "poufy" & its fine but i (usually) have a lot of it.

I'm worried more will fall out after the birth and it will get worse!

pippel Thu 22-Oct-09 11:40:14

I didnt know that, maybe they were connected then blush

alana39 Thu 22-Oct-09 12:12:26

Thick hair is not all it's made out to be - my hair is normally ridiculously thick and impossible to do anything with. Careful what you wish for wink

anniemac Thu 22-Oct-09 14:09:43

Message withdrawn

anniemac Thu 22-Oct-09 14:10:01

Message withdrawn

FJMi Thu 22-Oct-09 17:43:34

Dry and Frizzy too!

stressheaderic Thu 22-Oct-09 17:49:07

I keep reading about glossy shiny preganancy hair too....but mine still looks crap, and lanker than ever. Damn you hormones...

1mum1 Sat 24-Oct-09 20:16:43

Mine is starting to look a bit healthier - I've got 6 weeks to go!

Walnut8 Sun 25-Oct-09 10:43:38

What was your hair like in earlier pregnancy 1mum1? Is there hope that mine will get better later on?

woowa Sun 25-Oct-09 13:10:04

i read somewhere this week that only 1/3 of pregnant women notice an improvement, 1/3 the same, 1/3 oilier. I think it's an old wives tale that we all get better hair. Mine is exactly the same (gladly, as it's very thick anyway!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now