Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Trainee sonographer said "he" during scan! Does this mean its definitely a boy??

(17 Posts)
bubblesincambridge Wed 21-Oct-09 13:33:24

I had a 28 week scan done earlier this week. A trainee sonographer started it off. I specifically mentioned that we didn't want to know the sex or even to see the genital area in case it was obvious. She duly told us to look away when she was looking in that area. However I wasn't overly confident that she knew what she was looking for since she seemed to have difficulty looking for some of the landmarks she was meant to be locating.

Later, the qualified sonographer took over. Whilst they were discussing something (not the sex, I'm not sure what it was) the trainee mentioned "he"! Does that mean it will definitely be a boy or do sonographers sometimes call all babies "he"?? I'm not entirely sure she would have been able to tell anyway since she still seemed to be quite inexperienced.

I'll be really annoyed if she's given the game away! Has anyone else had a similar experience?? What was the outcome? Did it match up to what they said?

llaregguBOO Wed 21-Oct-09 13:34:31

No. She just didn't want to call your baby "it."

Fleecy Wed 21-Oct-09 13:36:10

Ours said he both times - we have one of each grin

TheOldestCat Wed 21-Oct-09 13:36:34

Nope - this happened in my first pregnancy. DD is proof that the sonographer was just using 'he' as a generic pronoun (or saw something that wasn't there!).

Biobytes Wed 21-Oct-09 13:38:20

Mine was a "she" at that age, and very much a boy after birth...

Besom Wed 21-Oct-09 13:39:28

No, very experienced head sonographer said 'there's his bottom' to me.

Lovely dd born a couple of months later.

bigstripeytiger Wed 21-Oct-09 13:40:58

I think most people have a gender that they think babies are IYSWIM. She probably just thinks of them as being 'he' unless proven otherwise.

bubblesincambridge Wed 21-Oct-09 17:12:22

Bump!!

Biobytes Wed 21-Oct-09 17:13:04

your welcome.

llaregguBOO Wed 21-Oct-09 17:22:06

hmm

heliotrope Thu 22-Oct-09 12:02:21

Happened to me the same and he was right, it was a boy. So I don't know if that was a slip of the tongue or that they call them all 'he'.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Thu 22-Oct-09 12:06:18

Before the scan, you knew it was a boy or a girl.
After the scan, you still know it's a boy or a girl. You still don't know which.
Even if it is a boy, you won't know whether the sonographer gave the game away or not.

It is not worth worrying about

BlueChampagne Thu 22-Oct-09 14:52:46

Sonographer at my last scan said "babies are he and ships are she".

cocobongo Tue 27-Oct-09 01:18:12

I think it is common for medical staff to refer to you baby as "he". Even once my girl was born, she was referred to as "he" in the hospital and once by my health visitor. I was getting quite paranoid that she looked like a boy, lol. Though I think the health visitor was just a muppet- this was after she had stripped the baby (who was wearing pink) so definitely knew she was a girl. She also pronounces her name (Eva) as ehvva. Grrrr.

Issy42 Tue 27-Oct-09 01:25:41

My sonographer used 'he' even after telling me she thought 'he' was a girl, so don't worry.

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Tue 27-Oct-09 01:31:39

Was the baby healthy in the scan?

bubblesincambridge Tue 27-Oct-09 13:47:46

Yes, everything fine. Thanks everyone! That's reassuring!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now