Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling paranoid about back ache and no movement

(22 Posts)
Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 12:49:28

I am 19 weeks with baby number 3. I don't think I have felt the baby move yet and today I have quite severe back pain. I've tried to make an appointment to see the midwife at the surgery tomorrow, but they have no space. I have also just called the community midwife to see if she can get out to me, but it was an answering machine and I may not get a response until tomorrow. There was an 'emergency' number to call, but I feel like I would be totally overreacting (and really hope that it isn't an emergency) if I called that.

Wrennies Wed 21-Oct-09 12:53:18

if your really worried go down to A&E xx

CowWatcher Wed 21-Oct-09 12:54:09

Poor you. Don't have any useful advice, but hope someone will be along soon who knows more. I don't think its unusual to not have felt the baby move at 19 weeks. At about that stage in my pg I hd a wobbly afternoon & went to the maternity unit at my hospital, they did a check on the baby's heart rate. Have you tried calling them? If you are getting really worried, then maybe you need to push it a bit? Good luck.

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 12:55:43

I haven't called the maternity unit...I may just go to GP instead in the morning if I don't hear back from midwife and I still feel so worried.

stareyes76 Wed 21-Oct-09 13:00:43

call your gp if they are nice they will fit you in asap today. or get yourself down to a&e now if your really worried. there is also the nhs direct helpline. a worried mum is no good for the baby. have you had any bleeding or anything else? you need to put your mind to rest. i had similiar but it turned out i just pulled my back out but i had bleeding to, i called gp and they booked me in. i heard the heart beat but they sent me for a scan as well just to make sure.

hope iv helped a little. let me know asap. p.s nhs direct will prob just send you to a&e they have done with me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 13:06:40

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had any bleeding which is why I feel that I may be seen to be overreacting. The GP has a drop in surgery in the morning, so I will go down there if the midwife doesn't get in touch.

stareyes76 Wed 21-Oct-09 13:24:22

my midwife is useless. thats why i suggested gp. please let me know what happens. it is prob absolutely nothing but these things are best checked out. xxxx

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 13:41:52

Thanks for listening to me...it has already made me feel a lot better and I'll keep you posted.

sherby Wed 21-Oct-09 13:44:26

Mung am I right in thinking you are in colchester?

If so the midwifes are rubbish at picking that antenatel phone up and they wont get your message until tomorrow. Have you thought about going to walk in centre?

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 13:50:04

I am in Colchester Sherby. I didn't think about the walk in centre...do you think that would be a better option than my own GP? I'd rather see a midwife really, as they get the heart beat much more easily than a GP and I'd just start worrying even more.

sherby Wed 21-Oct-09 13:59:42

If you get hold of the midwife I think they will just tell you to phone gp and ask for an emergency appt this afternoon. But then the walk in might just send you to A&E. They really are rubbish on that antenatel number

(I am 16 weeks and phoned them on it last week because of backache and cramps, they told me to get an emergency appt with GP)

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 14:04:34

Thanks for the advice Sherby. I called it a few weeks ago and a midwife actually answered...I was really shocked as I had been preparing my message in my head.

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 15:23:25

I have just had a call back from the community midwives who said to go to GP (just as you said they would Sherby). No emergency appointments left with my GP, so I'll have to go in the morning.

stareyes76 Wed 21-Oct-09 16:08:29

its prob nothing but if you can't wait that long get yourslef to a&e hun. just if you stress so much you can't cope it will be bad for you. just from personal experience. but as i said it is prob nothing. have you tried to lie down try ~(i know its hard) to relax have a fizzy drink etc. if you haven't felt her much befor this she could just be in a diff position my placenta is over the top so i don't feel as much. im 28 weeks pregnant now and she still has lazy days but i find something sugary like pavlova, chocolate and a fizzy drink help my little one move. xxxxxxx
try and relax hun. its prob nothing.

reikizen Wed 21-Oct-09 16:14:09

Are you worried about the backache or the lack of movement? At 19 weeks I would not expect you to be feeling strong, regular movements as the baby is still so small at this stage and it really depends on where the placenta is and where the baby is. However, if you suspect that there may be a problem with the baby you should go to the antenatal daycare ward at your hospital. The GP will do nothing more than listen in and at 19 weeks many of them do not feel confident to do that. If you have any loss at all don't go to GP, go to daycare.

sherby Wed 21-Oct-09 16:18:29

Mung, if you don't want to wait till the morning I have a fetal heart rate monitor here (same as the mw's one). I know you don't know me, but I think you know Pooter and she can vouch that I am not some hairy trucker!

I wouldn't mind lending it if you wanted to take it home and listen to baby

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 17:44:43

Sherby...thats really kind. I'll try and contact you via Pooter.

So, you are recommending that I eat chocolate drink fizzy drinks and lie down...sounds like an excellent plan wink

I know the movements would be minimal at the moment and I wasn't really concerned about it until I got the back pain today. The pain ahs reduced a lot and I will see how it is in the morning. The fact that I had been to a music and movement class this morning with my 2 DCs probably didn't help.

stareyes76 Wed 21-Oct-09 18:41:25

see there are lots of things that it could be. i have been busy i.e done housework etc today and my back is hurting now. i didn't feel my little one till 20 odd weeks can't really remember but i know it was quite a while. im eating a strawberry cake at the min to try and make her move as she reacts to sugar. lol. cause iv been busy i don't feel her a lot. you could just have your placenta on top like me. xxxx
when is your scan?

Mung Wed 21-Oct-09 20:09:10

Sherby after some thought I decided that trying to find a heartbeat myself isn't a good idea as if I cannot do it I will worry even more.

stareyes76 I am trying to be positive at the moment. I do keep wondering if I cannot remember those little fluttery movements you get earlier on in pregnancy and instead all I can recall are the huge kicks you get later on. I have such a gurgly gut that I have never really known if its the baby or something else shock.

I am going to have a bath and hopefully I'll get rid of the back ache and may even feel a few movements.

Thanks all of you for your advice. I hope to meet you soon Sherby at a Colchester meet-up...although they are getting very infrequent these days.

Mung Thu 22-Oct-09 09:58:23

Just to let you know...I saw a GP this morning who said it was most likely a pulled ligament. He listened in and we heard the baby's heartbeat, so I feel a lot better about it.

I'm not sure why I seem to get more paranoid with each pregnancy...I always thought people got more laid back with each pregnancy.

pooter Thu 22-Oct-09 11:27:47

Oh that's great news Mung! grin Im sure you are very relieved. I think im a lot more 'twingy' and achey with this one than with DS. I just put it down to old age smile. I bet you will recognise Sherby when you meet.

stareyes76 Thu 22-Oct-09 11:56:26

oh my god. thats amazing. told you prob something like that. but its better to get these things checked. always a good idea. yay so relieved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now