Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Redundancy on maternity leave

(4 Posts)
DizzyBrunette Wed 21-Oct-09 11:58:38

Hi, I am due to return to work on 19th November from 9 months maternity leave. My boss has now made me redundant (he followed all the correct channels, i.e., consultation, offering me another position etc). I have been given a month's notice from today even tho I am still on maternity leave at the moment, so my leaving date will be the date that I am supposed to return to work (19th November) - does anyone know if he can do this? I thought I had to return to work and then get a months notice?
TIA

blondieminx Wed 21-Oct-09 12:11:49

Sorry to hear you've been made redundant. Have you also posted this message on the Mumsnet employment board - there are some very helpful clued-up people over there who have helped me in the past.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

bubblesincambridge Wed 21-Oct-09 13:23:38

Yes, it can be done, so long as they didn't select you for redundancy because you were on maternity leave. If they had other reasons which were unrelated to your sex or maternity leave then it can be done.

DizzyBrunette Wed 21-Oct-09 13:26:00

Thanks bubbles and blondie,
I have posted on the employment board (I didn't realise there was one until after I posted here)
The reason was that my position was no longer needed - I worked remotely and the reports etc that I used to do are now being done by accountants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now