Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone tried the pressure bands for travel sickness/pregnancy nausea and if so do they work?

(13 Posts)
somethinganything Tue 20-Oct-09 21:17:26

Going on a long boat trip on Friday, 22 weeks pregnant, have a tendency towards travel sickness and obviously can't take anything. Chemist suggested the pressure bands but before shelling out £8 for them wanted to know if they'd worked for anyone?

Thanks, ladies

baptista Tue 20-Oct-09 21:23:09

sorry, but yes i get really bad travel sickness an the bands did not work 4 me! everyones different though, a girl i work wiv wnt travel without them an swears by them!

butterscotch Tue 20-Oct-09 21:23:58

I've used them form when my sickness started, they help a bit with sickness i was getting on the train but its a bit random! I got mine in boots for about £4-5

How are you usually on a boat? As I went on a rough boat trip when I was about 25 weeks pregnant last time, everyone else was chucking up but i was fine so you might be okay!

HTH

onepieceoflollipop Tue 20-Oct-09 21:27:54

Never found them helpful for pregnancy sickness. (but I was eventually hospitalised so did have it quite severe)

You can try other strategies, worth a try if nothing else, such as eating small snacks every hour or two (crackers, biscuits etc). Have a refreshing drink on hand such as lemonade. Try to get plenty of sleep before the trip.

Hope you have a fab time.

Comma2 Tue 20-Oct-09 21:51:14

I took them on a boat, and didn't help a bit. I almost died throwing up. Ask your doctor for somehtign you can take during preg!

corblimeymadam Tue 20-Oct-09 21:57:02

Message withdrawn

somethinganything Tue 20-Oct-09 22:13:15

thanks ladies - it's actually a cruise I'm going on - 6 days. Sounds utterly ridiculous doesn't it but let's just say it was a good last-minute offer with childcare included! Will look into the Avomine business. I'm hoping as it's a cruise ship it'll be big enough that it doesn't roll around too much - it just never occurred to me that it would be an issue until someone mentioned how sick they'd been on a transatlantic cruise.

TheBlairSnitchProject Tue 20-Oct-09 22:16:04

I used the bands during the 20 weeks of MS I had with DS and they worked really, really well. I flew during that time and I was OK too.

somethinganything Tue 20-Oct-09 22:19:56

ooh, good feedback. Excellent, worth the investment just in case I reckon...

JugularPiggy Tue 20-Oct-09 22:31:43

i used these for both pregnancies. they did'nt eliminate the sick feeling but did help take the edge off it. I got a pack of them (i think 6 in total) from the poundshop so its worth cheking in there as they were just as good as my boots ones.

I had a couple of sets of the bands as I was paranoid about forgetting them so had a set at work, handbag, car etc!

I would suggest taking lots of things you can nibble on aswell. Gingernut and rich tea biscuits and plain crackerbread saved me while working as i only felt human when eating!

Enjoy your cruise.

LittleOneMum Wed 21-Oct-09 09:42:18

I have been wearing them all the time for my MS (for the last 5 weeks) and I thought that they were making no difference until yesterday when I forgot to put them on after my shower and went to work without them. I really suffered! since putting them back on last night, all is better.

roundabout1 Wed 21-Oct-09 09:51:33

I regularly wear these bands, I have a balance/inner ear disorder so suffer vertigo & nausea & since having this find travelling a nightmare. I wear them whenever I'm in the car, don't always work completely but defintely help. I bought some from poundland or you can get packs of 4 on ebay quite cheap.

bubblesincambridge Wed 21-Oct-09 13:35:34

Haven't needed them myself but someone at work swore by them and recommended them to me if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now