Talk

Advanced search

Undercooked bacon?

(8 Posts)
Flowerface Mon 19-Oct-09 14:46:46

I am 34 weeks pregnant. Think may have eaten undercooked bacon for lunch. How likely is this to be a problem? Need to know how paranoid and insane to become... (I thought the thing with pork was worms, but how would you know if you have any? And does it do any harm to the baby?)

whomovedmychocolate Mon 19-Oct-09 15:37:14

Not likely to be infected with parasitic worms as it is generally salted/smoked. Won't show up for at least four weeks anyway. Won't harm baby.

mylovelymonster Mon 19-Oct-09 15:47:15

Chances it will contain anything to make you ill very very small. I think the worms thing in pork was sorted out yonks ago with different farming/husbandry techniques?
I think the worst thing would be you may get a gippy tummy if it was contaminated with anything buggy, but would not affect your strong healthy blooming almost-to-term baby.

Try not to worry x

whomovedmychocolate Mon 19-Oct-09 16:03:25

You can still get worms from pork. It's called Trichinosis

mylovelymonster Mon 19-Oct-09 16:29:25

Yes, however incidence of infection in the developed world now extremely low due to husbandry practices in farmed animals and awareness. May be useful for OP to be aware of potential symptoms, but I really don't think she needs to be worried by this.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 19-Oct-09 16:56:38

Oh no I wouldn't worry at all - which is what I said initially

Flowerface Mon 19-Oct-09 17:19:45

Thanks! smile

Stressful week at work lined up, think I am responding by becoming a bit insane about the baby. Yesterday I had two sips of champagne and spent the rest of the night conviced it had done some terrible harm...

BeckyBendyLegs Mon 19-Oct-09 17:55:38

Same happened to me when I was last pregnant. Ordered a bacon buttie in a pub and it was raw in the middle. I was fine. I was worried like you though. The week before I ordered fish and chips in another pub and the fish was frozen in the middle and tasted rank. Panicked more about that. I think at the time I had a label around my neck saying 'I am pregnant, poison me!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now