Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GP appointment and samples

(7 Posts)
imkeepingmum Mon 19-Oct-09 12:05:44

Just found out that I am pregnant and have arranged appointment with GP so they can refer me to midwife. Receptionist said I "might" need a urine sample. As I will be going straight from work I really don't want to have to do that in the work toilets (plus what on earth am I going to put it in!) What experiences have others had? Can I do a sample while I am there? Will they really need a sample (as receptionist had to go away and ask about procedure etc I am not confident she knew either way...)?

SpookyAlice Mon 19-Oct-09 12:10:00

I think i did a sample whilst at the Dr's for my first ante natal appointment, simply because i didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't take one with me the first time.

Really just relax about the appointment, you seem a bit stressed about it. There really is nothing to worry about smile

Kathyis12feethighandbites Mon 19-Oct-09 12:13:19

Congratulations!
If you turn up without a sample and you need one they will give you a little pot and send you off to the toilets at the surgery. So good idea to attend with something in your bladder.
I think they sometimes want one to confirm the pregnancy themselves - GP did with my first, not my second, can't remember about my third!

ruddynorah Mon 19-Oct-09 12:13:34

no don't worry about it.

the midwife will expect one at each appointment to check for protein and glucose, but the gp doesn't do all that. if it's like when i had my first the gp just checked i was taking folic acid and made me a midwife appointment for around 9 or 10 weeks. the gp didn't need to do a pregnancy test.

2nd time round i just rang and asked for a midwife appointment.

imkeepingmum Mon 19-Oct-09 12:15:48

Thanks both of you, I will just turn up needing a wee then grin
Only found out at the weekend and first baby so feel a little shell shocked!! Even though we were trying it still feels unreal!

roary Mon 19-Oct-09 12:19:10

I had huge culture shock (not British) when I arrived to my appointments and was given a sample jar to 'bring back next time'. I can't understand why you just can't do it when you arrive, but apparently at my surgery they do expect you to carry in your little jar of pee. They don't like to wait for you to have a pee during the appt (the MW is very busy, to be fair) so if you don't have a pot, you have to get one when you first arrive and do it then, before you go in. But no one will remind you!

ruddynorah Mon 19-Oct-09 16:15:01

they like it to be the first wee of the morning, hence taking the pot home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now