Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight before getting pregnant

(22 Posts)
easyaspie Mon 19-Oct-09 10:15:08

Would anyone mind sharing what you weighed before getting pregnant. If you are a larger lady did the midwife/doctor make any horrible comments?

BloodshotEyeballs Mon 19-Oct-09 10:20:49

I was a size 22 when I got pg. No horrible comments were made by anyone that I can remember. The only thing that happened was that my 20 week scan, the sonographer put 'difficult exam due to patient habitus' (couldn't see very much as woman is a lard arse!) on the notes which made me laugh because I had a lovely clear picture and she hardly pressed at all. The 12 weeks scan was painful she was pressing so hard and the picture wasn't great.

but otherwise no problems at all.

hairyclaireyfairy Mon 19-Oct-09 10:21:26

I am a fatty (size 18)and around 14 st 5'8 and have put on about a stone in the last 2 months, but have given up smoking so more concerned about keeping off cigs.
Never had any comments by midwife/doctor, think you can refuse weight checks if you want.

easyaspie Mon 19-Oct-09 10:29:13

well i weigh 19 stone and im terrified of going to the doctors. im 5'9 , i wear size 20 trousers and 24 tops.
I was/am on a diet and we werent trying yet but accidents happen.

BloodshotEyeballs Mon 19-Oct-09 10:38:24

You'll be fine, honestly. Congratulations I'm only 5'2 so imagine what I was like

easyaspie Mon 19-Oct-09 10:48:17

Thanks! smile

FluffyCoo Mon 19-Oct-09 11:00:52

I started out at 14.5st, size 18 - just for the record, the only time anyone has weighed me throughout my pregnancy so far was when I went for my NT scan and they needed to work out my BMI... MW has never even asked to weigh me. Congratulations and don't worry! Just look after yourself and you'll be fine!

tots2ten Mon 19-Oct-09 11:03:36

I was 17st before I got pg, I am 5'9, and wear sie 20, I am now 37weeks (and not been on a weighing scale for months)

The only comments I had was off a consultant, who words were something like 'fat people are more likely to stunt the growth of their babies, therefore you will be having growth scans at 24 wks, 28 weks, 32 wks, 36wks and a gtt' My reply was 'thank god I am fat then as my largest baby was 9lb 12' I also refused to have the growth scans, I did accept the GTT though.

BloodshotEyeballs Mon 19-Oct-09 11:03:48

For the record, I was asked my weight but never weighed. I didn't know my weight but had a round idea of my BMI (sky high!) and they took my word for that.

easyaspie Mon 19-Oct-09 11:04:50

Thanks Fluffy, i remember when i was pregnant with ddd1 and weighed 13 stone and the midwife was not impressed sad with dd2 i was 15 stone shock.

easyaspie Mon 19-Oct-09 11:06:30

ive never heard that before tots both our dd's were over 8lbs.

BloodshotEyeballs Mon 19-Oct-09 11:07:54

Well tell them to get to soddery! It helps if it's not your fitst pg as you know more what should and shouldn't be happening IYSWIM. I had all tests, check ups and scans that they threw at me because I didn't know my arse from my elbow. Now if there's a dc2 I'll know a bit more what to look out for and I won't be so reliant on check ups if I don't feel like it.

Not advocating not going to any check ups, just depends how you're treated.

suiledonne Mon 19-Oct-09 11:16:03

I am short (5'2) and a size 16-18 (fluctuates a bit) and was that size when pregnant with both dds. I actually went in expecting to get a bit of grief about it but never did. Never had to do a GTT or anything.

Also after both pregnancies I dropped back to my pre-pregnancy weight very quickly involving no effort other than breastfeeding.
Didn't get any thinner though grin

Congratulations and best of luck.

YanknCock Mon 19-Oct-09 11:21:26

I was 5'4", size 22, weighed 17st 3lb. Did get a few comments and the same with the sonographer 'difficult scan due to body habitus' despite her getting a clear look without pressing hard. The MW wanted to refer me to the dietician, but I refused since I've taken university level courses in nutrition and it's not a matter of not knowing what to eat or appropriate portion sizes. My PCOS just makes it really friggin difficult to shift weight. I'd lost a stone and kept it off for a year prior to this, so I know it can be done, but it takes me a million times longer than everyone else!

The worst was the arsehole senior registrar who decided I needed to be 'educated'. I asked about weight gain, as I'd read it was safe to gain very little weight or indeed none at all when starting out at my size. He said sharply 'no, you're going to gain loads of weight'. Then went on to tell me I needed to exercise more and have a better diet or I would 'die in my 50s'. I was nearly in tears, so DH had to break in and say that actually before the pregnancy, hyperemesis and SPD, I had a quite good diet and did exercise. Registrar also thought it was helpful to tell me how he spent two hours a day in the gym or something like that (I tuned out at that point).

Well I proved him wrong anyway. I gained 29lbs during the pregnancy (more than I'd wanted to, but it mostly came on at the end and seemed to be lots of water). By two weeks post birth I was back to my starting weight! I'm back to eating healthily and starting pilates and water aerobics again this week (DS is 8 weeks old).

The lesson here is, don't let the bastards grind you down. Prepare for the comments and be ready to defend yourself. And if you have big upper arms, for god's sake make sure they use the large cuff when they take your blood pressure!

tots2ten Mon 19-Oct-09 11:53:46

easyaspie I had never been told that either before seeing the very nice consultant. mine were 7lb 11, 9lb, 9lb 12, 7lb 11, and 8lb 14.

stillstanding Mon 19-Oct-09 12:00:06

I am overweight for this pregnancy (BMI of 30) but didn't get any negative comments. I was the one that raised it as a concern with the MW and later consultant.

Fact is that being overweight does come with lots of risks and, while I expect to be treated with respect, I have no problem with my condition being acknowledged and my medical treatment being altered accordingly if necessary.

The only extra test that I'm having is a test for gestational diabetes at 28 weeks. I'm also having a scan at 36 weeks to determine how big the baby is then and how it is lying but that is to work out the risks of a VBAC rather than because of my weight.

ChairmumMiaow Mon 19-Oct-09 12:00:15

Although I was refused to be considered for a home birth or water birth because of my weight (17st and size 22 for the first, just under 16st and size 18/20 for this one) I can't say anyone was nasty about it.

I was under a consultant and got an extra scan but had no problems throughout pregnancy.

Although I didn't have a great labour (possibly all triggered by the fact they couldn't get a good reading with the belt monitor because of my shape/size) I recovered ever so quickly. DH worries about labour this time round, but we'll just have to see what happens.

theperfectbaguette Mon 19-Oct-09 22:16:10

This is my first pregnancy I'm a size 18-20 with a BMI of 30. I'm only 5 weeks and its really reasuring to read all your comments

Yikess Tue 20-Oct-09 11:17:29

I started with a BMI of 36 - and am now at week 31 and gained 5kg - which to me isnt alot at all. My GP kept going on about only gaining 10lbs in my whole pregnancy (nothing in the first 20 weeks and then half a pound in the next 20 which is ridiculous because if I had a 7Lbs baby then that would mean the blood placenta etc would only be 3lbs?

I felt awful after seeing him and cried my eyes out but my midwife said its a load of rubbish and as long as I remained healthy with no fluctuations in blood pressure etc etc then I was fine and should ignore the GP.

I actually think Ive lost weight. Dont let it bother you - most of these people have never even had a baby (men!).

BloodshotEyeballs Tue 20-Oct-09 14:02:00

Are you all really tall? My BMI is way above all yours blush

nic1976 Tue 20-Oct-09 16:31:45

I started my last pregnancy at 19.5 stone, this one at 19. I'm 27 weeks now and have only put on 2lbs this time (although I'm sure the rest is in the post!).

Consultant did discuss the increased risks of obesity and pregnancy but was very nice about it all. My scans have also said 'difficult due to big bum' (or something medical but much more boring).

I had a normal vaginal delivery last time (did have to be induced) and she was 9lb 4, but that's what happens if you have babies with someone who is 6ft 3 (and skinny!). My mum had big babies (between 8.5 and 10lb) and she is a size 10/12 and about 9 stone soaking wet through.

I'm having growth scans at 28/32 weeks but hoping I might just slip out a 7lb this time. ;)

I've never had a nasty comment from a midwife and if I did I'm afraid I'd take them to task about it.

stressheaderic Tue 20-Oct-09 18:37:20

My BMI was 17.5 at booking-in. The midwife gave me a condescending "you need to start eating..." speech, which I found pretty rude, considering I've made a conscious effort to stuff my face every mealtime whilst pregnant.
I was 5'5" and just under 8 stone...at 22 weeks now, I'd imagine that's increased somewhat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now