Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Heard a pop & I'm 37 weeks...

(10 Posts)
Hopeful2 Sun 18-Oct-09 19:43:47

Ladies,

bit of a strange one but just need some advice if poss -

I was in the bath & needed to empty some water out so I got as close as I could (bit of a struggle being 37 weeks pg) pulled the plug & then put it back in, it was at this point that I heard a pop & felt something in my tummy (not a pain, but so I knew that that is where the noise came from).
Now I have heard of ladies membranes breaking & being able to hear this but I would assume that by now I would either have leakage (from the waters breaking) or severe pain with contractions starting!! I have had cramps in tummy & lower back on / off for several days but nothing more severe since hearing the noise. I'm even beginning to think I imagined the whole thing..
I did ring my MW who told me to wait & see what happens.
I've checked babies HB with doppler & it appears to be ok if a little higher than usual & movements are about the same (although always been hard to detect properly due to placenta being at the front).

So was it all in my head or could it have been my membranes, just that nothing else has happened yet!!! By the way it was about 2pm when it happened....

PlumBumMum Sun 18-Oct-09 19:45:13

I had a friend who hear a pop but then her waters leaked she had her baby later on that night

PlumBumMum Sun 18-Oct-09 19:45:40

who heard a pop I meant

scarlotti Sun 18-Oct-09 19:46:46

My waters went with an audible pop with DS - had bent down to pick up the post - but this was accompanied by a gush.

Not sure if the sac can pop but the waters remain inside ...

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 19:46:51

You sure it wasn't your hips popping as you leant forward? However it could have been the waters at the top bursting - they don't necessarily leak immediately and then you get a gusher later on (or just a dribble depending on how the baby moves)

BloodshotEyeballs Sun 18-Oct-09 19:47:31

I heard a very definite loud pop when my waters went. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. Good luck, hope it goes well

Hopeful2 Sun 18-Oct-09 19:54:37

Thanks for quick responses..I am now doubting myself, I really thought at the time it was a definate pop & came from tummy area - it didn't feel like it had come from hip area & I know my hips do like to make noises lately. It definately felt like it came from tummy, but certainly no gush or even trickle yet. Which is also why I think I must be going mad...
I'm going to keep an eye on babies movements & see what happens. Still getting cramps in tummy & lower back, but like I say, they haven't intensified either.
Maybe I shall put it down to one of those strange things that happens or mind playing tricks...

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 19:59:18

Go to bed. Rest. If you are wrong you will feel better, if you are right, you'll be glad you had a few hours sleep.

Hopeful2 Sun 18-Oct-09 20:05:00

Good idea whomovedmychocolate..a hot water bottle is needed also I think.
I spose I was also just ruling out any trouble caused to baby..but he seems to be ok as I am feeling his movements every now & then still.
See what happens smile

whomovedmychocolate Sun 18-Oct-09 20:13:05

It could be him engaging properly and pushing the waters out the way, I got loads of bizarre popping sounds at the end (mine both came out the catflap though so I have no idea whether it would have lead to anything).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: