Talk

Advanced search

How will ds cope with new baby, he'll be 20 mths?

(6 Posts)
Kassie Sun 12-Jun-05 21:04:02

Just pg and delighted but quite surprised. How will my ds cope with new arrival? Had envisaged lots of time together for two of us but obviously now there will be 3 of us (plus dh whennot at work!)Will my little spud No. 1 be ok?

busyalexsmummy Sun 12-Jun-05 21:21:42

Ive got anougher due in nov, my ds will also be 20months when its born, I was worried but from what Ive heard it tends to be a nice age gap once you recover from the sleepless nights, as because they are so close in age they tend to get on very well, they also have the benefit of going through school being only one school yr apart.
When mine arrives Im just going to get people to bring him little prezzies when they visit me and make a fuss of him as well, Im going to get him something from the baby, Im not sure he'll be at the age where he understands but he'll like the fuss and getting presents part!

Kassie Sun 12-Jun-05 21:30:45

Sounds like good plan. My little man is Alex too! He was born in August tho' so no 2 will still be two school years away, bit of a shame that... must speak to Dh re his timing!!!

elastamum Sun 12-Jun-05 21:57:27

Hi All,

Mine are 20 months apart and we have never had any problems between them DS1 knew he was getting a baby brother and took it in his stride when he arrived. They are now 6 and 4 and great friends. It was tough when they were both very little. I think we had 4 years of broken nights but now it is great. They will be two school years apart when DS2 starts in September but the advantage is that DS1 is old enough to show DS2 the ropes, they are both looking forward to being at the same school. Also the second time around we were much more laid back and gave up being worried parents (I think we were just too tired!)

Kassie Sun 12-Jun-05 22:13:26

Thanks - I hope mine are close too! Have to admit I can't possibly be a more worried parent than I was for first few months with no 1, so I'm lookin forward to not feeling so inept next time 'round! Great news about the sleepless nights...! Who needs sleep anyway!

JiminyCricket Tue 14-Jun-05 21:24:58

I'm due in July and dd will be 22 m, so same queries as you - we've been talking to her loads about it, asking her if she thinks it will be a boy or a girl, that sort of thing. Also a health visitor last week who wasn't v helpful in any other way, made the point that its dd's baby too - i.e. happening to us all, not just us as parents, and to talk about it in that way with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now