Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am considering just gas/air and tens machine - can I do this!?

(25 Posts)
1mum1 Sat 17-Oct-09 16:49:44

Was considering an epidural but now edging towards taking a more natural route so therefore am feeling more nervous about labour! I just like the idea of doing it this way and suppose I just need to believe that I can now! I'm not against having whatever I need at the time but would love to go for a more natural birth.

FlamingoBingo Sat 17-Oct-09 16:53:25

Well lots of people do do it, so I'm sure you can too smile

blondiep14 Sat 17-Oct-09 16:54:03

You can do it!
Although my one piece of advice is to take it as it comes, do what is right for you at the time. I don't think you can really plan too much. Whatever happens will be for the best, for you & baby.
I didn't have a birth plan for DS1 and won't for this baby apart from specifying I want skin to skin contact asap and to breastfeed.

KembleTwinsMwahahaha Sat 17-Oct-09 16:55:38

I have a friend who just did it with a TENS machine, and another who had twins on just gas and air. I'm sure you CAN. But I agree with blondiep - see how it goes, and try not to get stressed if you do need more than you hoped you would. Wanting to do it on just gas and air, then needing an epidural is not "failing"!

LilyBolero Sat 17-Oct-09 17:09:35

I did it twice with nothing at all - and both were 10lb+.

Things I found helpful;

Having them at home!
Don't be afraid to be in whatever position is best - don't feel tied to the bed.
If it really really really hurts,so bad you can't think straight, then you're nearly there (prob in transition).

missmapp Sat 17-Oct-09 17:19:06

of course you can - i did , twice, and so have thousands of others, BUT if you dont it doesnt matter a jot, what matters is you have the birth that is right for you and you have a healthy baby, dont go into it with too many plans, nature has a way of intervening ( i hadnt planned on forceps and stitches, but it happened and it was ok)

pagwatch Sat 17-Oct-09 17:22:29

I did it three times with not a bloody,sodding,bastard thing - I only had gas and air for stitching as the injectoions for that don't work on me [just my luck emoticon].
Some of us have little choice and yet amazingly we manage grin

It always make me laugh when people talk about choosing a natural birth. Some of us have natural birththrust upon us.

Paolosgirl Sat 17-Oct-09 17:28:06

I managed all 3 of them in hospital using gas and air, TENS and the pool (to labour in) - and the first one was a ventouse delivery, with stitches afterwards! I honestly don't know how - I am the biggest wimp when it comes to pain, to the extent that I have diazepam for a filling at the dentist. I just seemed to go into this 'zone', and switched off a bit - very strange. There was also no way on this earth that someone was sticking a needle in my spine - now that would terrify the life out of me.

It definitely can be done, but as others have said - if you want/need more then have it, and just go with what your body tells you it needs. Hope it all goes well smile

morethemerrier Sat 17-Oct-09 17:29:38

I had two births using gas and air, the first time did not really get the hang of it so was not much use and things moved quite quickly! Second time made sure I sucked it down properly!!! Worked for me, liked the fact that it wore off when not needed and sure that both labours were quick and progessed well as a result. But you can only do what's right at the time go with your instincts. I've got quite a high pain threashold, was told both times that nothing much was happening ( as I was managing the pain)only to give birth about an hour and a half later with both! Don't get me wrong, hurts like hell, but keep a positive and realistic veiw and choose what you think you need at the time. And there's nothing like feeling your baby emerge and the relief that comes with it! I would never knock epidurals they just were not for me. First labour was 11 hours second was 3 hours! They both latched on straight away which helped with establishing breastfeeding. So definately positive in my experience! Good luck and however your baby gets here you can be proud that you did it no matter what drugs you choose!

AllGoneSouth Sat 17-Oct-09 17:52:04

I had both of my DDs with just gas and air. DD1 was 9 hours and DD2 was just two hours.

The only thing I planned was to listen to my own body. You will know when it's too much for you.

With both of mine just as I got to the point of thinking I needed something stronger for the labour pains it was time to push and out they came (well after some considerable effort of course shock)

No one can explain the pain to you but I've not yet met anyone who didn't agree that you forget it as soon as the baby is born (although someone will along now and beg to differ grin).

So just go with the flow and understand that there is no wrong way to do it - just do what you need to do to safely deliver your new baby.

BeckyBendyLegs Sat 17-Oct-09 18:56:41

Totally agree with Blondiep14 you really do have to take it as it comes. Every birth is different and everyone copes with pain differently (and not just pain but length of time you are in pain). I had short labours so far (4 1/2 hrs and 2 1/2 hours and had gas and air first time and no time for anything second time) but I know that if I had been in labour for hours and hours I would have needed an edpidural. You just need to do your best and if you manage with just gas and air - fantastic. If not - there are no medals at the end of the day - just a lovely new baby

Claire236 Sat 17-Oct-09 19:27:50

I had ds1 without anything although that was down to the hospital not believing I was in labour. Currently 32 weeks with ds2 & planning on trying for a natural birth this time round. Listen to your body & do what feels right for you at the time. If you have a long labour you're more likely to need help. Don't beat yourself up over it however you deliver.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Sat 17-Oct-09 19:37:04

Of course you can. I had 3 with only gas and air. (and tens with 2 and a pool with the 3rd)

Go into it with an open mind though - if you decide you need more, have it. It doesn't make you a failure.

mumtoted Sat 17-Oct-09 19:45:26

I had 2, NO gas & air, just an arnica lol. And a pool, couldn't have done it without the pool.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 17-Oct-09 19:46:00

Well I've managed it twice. That was what I was hoping for and I'm chuffed that I managed it but I wouldn't have refused other drugs or an epidural if I felt that I wasn't coping.

I was scared of labour, I really had never experienced any pain more than a sprained ankle until I had my first ds!

The first time I was induced and got to 9cms with just the TENS then a hot bath. i used G&A once they believed I was really in labour and got taken to delivery suite.

The second time I only had the TENS as ds2 was born about 5 minutes after we arrived at hospital.

With G&A such as hard and as deep as you can on it during the contraction and then leave it inbetween - keep sipping a drink as it really does dry your mouth out.

Go with the flow, and good luck!

GooberIsLockedInTheBootOfMyCar Sat 17-Oct-09 19:51:59

I had 2 without anything at all. I ripped with 1 of them too!

warthog Sat 17-Oct-09 19:55:16

yes you can.

the difficult part of labour imo is you don't know how much longer it'll go on for and how much more painful it'll get.

for me when the pain got really bad, those were the last few contractions, so knowing that i would go without again. you have to think positively and breath.

stirlingstar Sat 17-Oct-09 20:04:13

Yes you can - with a bit of luck and what everyone said above about it being fine to do something else if you need to at the time.

I had ds1 with 2 days of 3 min contractions (not as described in the books!), 8 hrs of it in hospital, about 4 hrs g&a. Also used tens. It hurt like fck but it does end and I coped.

Had ds2 with 1 and a bit days contractions. G&a for last 10 mins - would have liked a bit more but we cut it fine getting to hospital!

Both largish babies.

1mum1 Sat 17-Oct-09 20:08:44

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Just reading about them makes me feel really positive. I'm not going to go into it with a fixed plan. I didn't really think about the fact that the longer it goes on then it may be more likely I'll need help so like you all say - I should just go with the flow.

I feel more confident and positive already - so thanks so much. The most important thing is my little girl will arrive into the world safely. Only 6 1/2 weeks...I can't wait now actually!

1mum1 Sat 17-Oct-09 20:11:39

Oh and by the way - you are all amazing!

Bumperlicioso Sat 17-Oct-09 20:16:01

Course you can, but doesn't matter even if you don't. Just make sure you toke on that G&A like you've never toked before! A quick suck just ain't gonna do it!

GooberIsLockedInTheBootOfMyCar Sat 17-Oct-09 21:08:47

I didn't feel very "Amazing" at the time. Was laying there screaming; "I can't DO this!!!"

tammybear Sat 17-Oct-09 21:17:12

I was the same as pagwatch. Only used gas and air for stitches as I found that the worse part of the whole labour! Lol. Good luck with the birth, just do what feels best at the time and glad you're feeling positive about it, it's the best way to go into it wink

hormonalmum Sat 17-Oct-09 21:43:52

Of course you can.
I had 2 with tens machine only - one fairly big, but the best thing I can recommend is being at home as long as possible or even having your lo there.

Paolosgirl Sat 17-Oct-09 22:17:26

Agree Goober - at some point with all 3 of them, I burst into tears, told dh I couldn't do this, and could he please please just take me home - and then cried some more when he said he was sorry but he didn't really think he could grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now