Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Question about stretchmarks ...

(10 Posts)
bananapeanutbutter Fri 16-Oct-09 17:19:25

I grew really quickly though puberty and as a result ended up with a lot of stretch-marks on my breasts, thighs & hips. They have all faded now to the silvery/grey sort.

I'm just into the second trimester of my first pregnancy and I know that I will probably end up with fresh new stretch-marks on my belly (which is of course one of the only places to remain unscathed by puberty.) But I'm wondering if it is possible or likely (please no) that I will get more stretch-marks on my boobs/thighs/hips or better yet, stretch-marks on my stretch-marks?!

ruddynorah Fri 16-Oct-09 17:22:02

yes sad

coomon to get them in places other than your tummy. i hace some at the back of my knees. the ones you have may get longer.

KnickersandVests Fri 16-Oct-09 17:23:15

It's all genetic whether or not you get stretch marks.

Do the women in your family have them as a result of pregnancy?

If so you probably will too, if not you probably won't either.

reikizen Fri 16-Oct-09 17:24:53

Yes, I'd say it is possible as knickers says it is genetic and no cream will stop 'em. However, I had pre-existing ones but only developed ones on my tummy in my second pregnancy, nowhere else.

bananapeanutbutter Fri 16-Oct-09 17:43:15

ruddynorah do the ones that get longer also get red again ?!

I'm confused about the genetics thing. Are puberty stretch-marks different from pregnancy ones? Does the fact that I had them during puberty mean anything in relation to whether I'll get pregnancy ones? Or is it more significant whether or not my mother etc had them during pregnancy?

BellasYummyMummy Fri 16-Oct-09 17:45:29

i got some stretch marks during puberty on my hips and breasts, then during my first pregnancy got terrible ones that went up past my belly button and on my hips. So far this second time round they havent reappeared yet... but i fear they will make a come back at some point.

MandaHugNKill Fri 16-Oct-09 19:07:59

I'm a beacon of hope for you!

I too got a fair few stretchmarks on my hips when I went through puberty - I guess that going from stick thin to curvy almost overnight was more than my skin could take...

However, this is my third pregnancy and I've never gotton a single stretchmark due to pregnancy. Whether this is because I didn't really gain much weight and had a neat bump (but nice sized babies - 7lb 13oz and 8lb 1oz) or not, I'm unsure. Interestingly, I got a few very small ones around my left nipple once my milk came in and BAM! my boobs were two sizes bigger overnight.

Perhaps your skin will be like mine; able to cope with a slow and steady change, but struggles with a very sudden change.

Good luck!

beatiebow Fri 16-Oct-09 19:09:42

Me too-got them in puberty (chest) but not in pregnancy (x2).

KathleenMay Sun 18-Oct-09 20:01:58

Id say it partly depends on how much weight you gain. I had stretch marks from puberty, but none in pregnancy till about week 37, then bang they came in numbers! however only on the bottom of my bump - nowhere else. I've gained a lot of weight in pregnancy though, regretting that now cos I'm sure thats caused the stretch marks. Should have been more stingy with the chocolate.

bananapeanutbutter Mon 19-Oct-09 10:03:28

Thanks for your replies everyone. Sounds like it could go either way! (and thanks Manda, Beatiebow and KM for your beacons of hope!). I keep reading about trying to minimise SM with slow weight gain. Sigh. Will have to listen to you Kathleenmay and try to curb the chocolate intake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now