Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Constipation!!!!!!!!!!

(14 Posts)
woodhj Fri 16-Oct-09 16:38:41

Please anyone able to help with good tips and what to eat. Eating banannas for potasium as leg cramps in night but god constipation is far worse.

Ohwhatacrapmasfear Fri 16-Oct-09 16:42:24

I have had this problem, eat plenty of things like dried fruit especially figs and prunes. You can also take fibregel which really helps. Make sure you also drink lots of water as that can make a real diference.

Hope that helps, I know how painful it can be.

maybebaby23 Fri 16-Oct-09 16:45:48

Prune juice!!! A small glass of the stuff morning and night is sure to get things moving.

glasgowlass Fri 16-Oct-09 16:48:24

Try drinking plenty of water, really important to stay hydrated and especially during pregnancy.
I used to drink a lot of prune juice(yuk) too.
Eat fibre rich foods, the only thing I could keep down was bran flakes, oranges and orange juice is good too.
If you are able, mild exercise such as walking should help.

If all fails consult your MW/GP as they may be able to prescribe a stool softener that can be used in pregnancy.

HTH smile

bananapeanutbutter Fri 16-Oct-09 17:50:41

I can get it badly and have found that if I get in a daily routine of bran flakes & yoghurt for breakfast (I wash this down with a couple of glasses of water), probiotic capsules after breakfast and one yakult in the afternoon, I am pretty regular. Also gentle walk every day for 30 mins. And drink loads of water throughout day.

I have tried prune juice and fibre capsules but dont find them particularly helpful (maybe I just don't drink enough of the prune juice to help as I dislike the taste).

MrsHappy Fri 16-Oct-09 18:56:45

M&S do a museli with bran and that seems to do the trick and is quite nice (I already drank loads of water, exercised and ate dried fruit, so none of that was going to help me).

Failing that, get your midwife to confirm you can use a glycerine suppository.

emsyj Fri 16-Oct-09 19:21:47

Honestly swimming is amazing for constipation - but you have to do a decent stretch at it. Also drinking water - a lot of constipation is down to mild dehydration. Drink as much as you can stomach... then a bit more.

Otherwise I think lactulose may be safe, but obviously check with doctor/pharmacist. It tastes like the glue on envelope flaps and isn't a very strong laxative as such, think it works by softening the stools so it's quite mild in its effect (shouldn't give you the squits).

Prune juice is the work of the devil. I have suffered with constipation a lot over the years and even at the peak of it I couldn't stomach prune juice.

Zil131 Sat 17-Oct-09 07:19:11

Keep away from the bananas! It may not be the same for adults, but DC1 suffers terribly, and I've had to ban him!! (Try stretching your muscles out regularly for the cramps)

I suffered terribly in preg no.1 (went off all fruit and veg). In preg 2 I forced myself to eat 2 pieces of fruit a day, and drink lots of water.
Also as others have said - try to do a bit of walking.

Think it was my worst symptom in preg 1 - so I feel for you!

AngelDog Sat 17-Oct-09 07:54:41

My sympathies everyone - another sufferer here.

Try to eat wholemeal bread, pasta, rice if you can. White or refined carbohydrates will make it worse. A good breakfast alternative to branflakes or muesli is home made porridge - you could add oatbran (or normal bran) to it. Jacket potatoes are good too - make sure you eat the skins. Beans and lentils also help - add them to your cooking wherever you can. Peas and sweetcorn are also very good.

Make sure you increase your fibre intake gradually, though - increase it too much at once and you may suffer unpleasant side effects. And as everyone else says, drink loads of water. You can eat as much fibre as is humanly possible, but if you don't drink enough water, it won't do any good at all.

dal21 Sat 17-Oct-09 08:14:48

tablespoon of linseed added to cereal in the morning should help.

as others have said, use pulses. can add lentils to lovely winter veg soups or chickpeas to all sorts of dishes. Both help!

woodhj Sat 17-Oct-09 10:53:46

Thanks everyone! first pregnancy never suffered at all but craved water my brother said it was like the movie Signs, pints of water all over the house.

Also this time had terrible indigestion and heart burn so sort of but not depriving myself (11 stone before pregnancy, so dont think im starving myself) been eating smaller portions so maybe not getting what i need.

I eat plenty of veg, pots, meats and weetabix in morning, might start with orange juice everyday see if that works then move onto a few of the other suggestions!

Thanks again, not something you can talk to your husband about over your evening meal x

aliceemma Sat 17-Oct-09 11:40:55

An apple or pear everyday

Other fibrous fruit e.g. raspberries, other berries, dried apricots, papaya, avocado

Shove loads of fruit on your wheetabix as it will get you moving in the morning grin which is best time of day ...

Try & mix fruit in with your dairy input e.g. eat cheese with an apple/pear, blend fruit into your milk, add fruit to a yoghurt

And as everyone says gallons of water.

Not the best idea to get your fibre artificially - far better to take it in natural protein/mineral/vitamin rich form i.e. pulses, veg, fruit

Dalrymps Sat 17-Oct-09 11:49:13

Prune juice, pears and plums are all good. I feel your pain. I agree bananas make it worse.

rouquine Sat 17-Oct-09 13:39:29

my nausea has started since three days!from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, I have this terrible sensation It isn't handleable at all!I wish I could get rid of it! but I haven't vomited yet!My sister used to burp up everytime she ate... plus I'm only pregnant at 5 weeks and have already bloated a lot !!any clue ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now