Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

High blood pressure controlled by drugs: induction, natural labour or c section?

(7 Posts)
corblimeymadam Thu 15-Oct-09 15:42:13

Message withdrawn

carmenelectra Thu 15-Oct-09 16:40:18

Hello, would depend how high really. Most probably just be induction if you do not have symptoms. Only would do cs if bad signs of pre eclampsia and things looking serious. yOUR BP will rise in labour but will hopefully be controlled with the meds you are on.

I work in maternity and we only do emergency cs if preelampsia or if things start going a bit wrong.

From my own personal ecperience I have very very high bp with ds 1, though no signs of preeclampsia and not treated with any drugs. I was meant to be started off, but actually went into labour whilst an in patient for my bp! Had normal delivery. Ds 2 I was diagnosed with essential hypertension and took labetalol during pregnancy and it was stable throughout pregnacy and birth. This is now baby number 3 and so far bp still well controlled at 32 wks!

What are you taking?

MrsHappy Thu 15-Oct-09 16:58:41

When I had my DD I had high (controlled by meds) BP. They gave me regular blood tests and monitoring and a packet of wee sticks so I could check things myself. I ended up going to 41+3 and labouring spontaneously. They would have induced me that day but ran out of beds, so it is possible to go quite far over.

The important things to stress (by asking questions) were, I found, that high BP can be a symptom of PE but does not cause it and that since my blood tests were ok I had not developed PE (some doctors seem to think that a high BP and PE are one and the same). The concern about the high BP in the absence of other PE symptoms is for the mother's health (concerns re strokes etc) but if the BP is controlled then actually it is less of an issue.

My BP was controlled throughout a long labour, BTW, but it shot up after my emcs. I imagine this was part stress and partly that noone had given my my BP medication that morning.

cory Thu 15-Oct-09 19:53:10

I had this in my first pregnancy: as induced- mainly due to intruterine growth retardation (probably caused by BP) and dd born vaginally, a little small but not desperately slow. I was fine.

In my second pregnancy I did go on to develop pre-eclampsia, was induced again, would have given birth vaginally, but ds's heartrate went down so had to have em section. My BP did go a bit haywire at this point but no ill effects afterwards.

corblimeymadam Thu 15-Oct-09 19:54:03

Message withdrawn

MrsHappy Thu 15-Oct-09 20:12:45

don't mind at all - the baby was stuck (after a very long, stuck on my back labour), so nothing to do with the BP I think.

corblimeymadam Thu 15-Oct-09 22:32:21

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now