Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cramps after exam - good ?

(10 Posts)
Comma2 Thu 15-Oct-09 15:36:43

My gyn did an internal exam yesterday - am 37 weeks. He said cervix was thick and fingertip dilated. Even though I didn't expect baby next week, am cross with diagnosis.

I was over due date with 1st and want to be a bit early now as doctor is going to leave on vacation on my due date, and he is the only one in hospital that doesn't do c section at the first possible occasion so he can get out and have dinner.

Since the exam yesterday, I have had some bleeding and some of the icky plug come out, as well as mens like cramps--this is good, right? Or does it not mean fiddlesticks??

My doctor mumbled something about walking. Does that help the cervix, or just engages the kid? Bc my babies don't engage until labour, so no need to walk if no effect on cervix.

Advise, please, anybody?

StrawberrySam Thu 15-Oct-09 16:41:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrawberrySam Thu 15-Oct-09 16:42:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reikizen Thu 15-Oct-09 16:49:37

I'm not sure it does mean 'action' at 37 weeks tbh. But, the power of positive thought has got babies born before now! Walking will encourage gravity to push baby's head down onto the cervix and hopefully get things moving. But bear in mind that at 37 weeks, you still potentially have 5 weeks of a 'normal' pregnancy to go so it may be a while yet! I am assuming you are not in UK if you are at the mercy of a doctor and his dinner plans? And that you have had an internal exam at 37 weeks, unless there was a problem I don't see why he would do this?

Comma2 Thu 15-Oct-09 20:30:01

Thank you! I am not expecting to go this week or next, I just don't want to go over my due date again, and thought I'd better start doing what I can to encourage baby to at least come a couple days early...

I am in the US. I don't know anybody here who had a vb, and last time escaped a completely unnecessary csection by sheer luck because my now-doctor was standing in for my regular ex-doctor. So really really want him to deliver this baby.

Comma2 Thu 15-Oct-09 20:33:12

Oh, and internal exam at 37 is standard procedure here, so no problems.

reikizen Thu 15-Oct-09 20:50:47

good lord, that's depressing! I can see why freebirthing is appealing for some women. I wonder what they are looking for in the internal exam? Is it to justify their fee, or are they hoping for problems and reasons to intervene?

Comma2 Thu 15-Oct-09 23:57:27

I think it's for a better understanding of when things are going to happen. Prob more relevant when there are problems eg with bp...Also he did the Strep B test, so was down there anyway. Fine with me, maybe I can get him to induce me a day early if all is set to go anyway.

Cramps and bleeding have stopped though. hmpf. Have spent the day vacuum-cleaning. wink

reikizen Fri 16-Oct-09 14:42:14

Well, he can buy me a lottery ticket if he is able to predict when women will go into labour from an exam at 37 weeks! Please read up on induction and increased chance of c-sections before asking him to do this! Bear in mind that most obstetric law suits in America relate to inappropriate use of pitocin (syntocinon over here) used in inductions. Be patient, have faith in your body even if your doctor doesn't! wink Hire a doula.

Comma2 Fri 16-Oct-09 21:44:59

He can give a guess for the next 7 days, which is what he did. I have faith in my body but not in the doctors here, which is the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now