Talk

Advanced search

I'm craving tea - help

(30 Posts)
BiscuitStuffer Thu 15-Oct-09 15:07:06

How many cups am I allowed a day?

Apparently it's not just the caffeine that's the issue with tea becuase it has other stuff in too.

I WANT TEA!!!!

OP’s posts: |
ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 15-Oct-09 15:09:33

Goodness me times have changed. I thought it was only coffee you had to ration? How far gone are you?

PS Is this DC1?

BiscuitStuffer Thu 15-Oct-09 15:11:59

dc3
7 weeks

OP’s posts: |
LilRedWG Thu 15-Oct-09 15:13:26

Have a cup.

londonlottie Thu 15-Oct-09 15:17:23

Message withdrawn

Harimosbroomstick Thu 15-Oct-09 15:19:19

Feck.. I must've had 7-8 cups of breakfast tea with each of my kids.

I love tea. I never thought of it as a problem?

thatsnotmymonster Thu 15-Oct-09 15:21:51

I wouldn't worry.

I think my mum must have drank tea by the gallon throughout her 3 pregnancies- she does now grin

Bramshott Thu 15-Oct-09 15:35:48

Web research seems to say 4 cups.

hairyclaireyfairy Thu 15-Oct-09 15:38:24

i'm limiting my tea drinking to 3 cups a day and am drinking decaf coffee, just a thought but can't you buy decaff tea?

Habbibu Thu 15-Oct-09 15:42:03

There have been some studies which suggested that green or black tea may have some impact on the metabolism or bioavailability of folic acid/folate. I really don't know how well accepted they are, nor do I know enough about the subject to assess the studies for themselves - I was just twitchy as we lost our first baby to a neural tube defect. The risk is, I guess, very small, and I did drink tea with ds, though not with dd2. Just make sure you keep taking folic acid!

abra1d Thu 15-Oct-09 15:42:22

Decaff tea is horrid.

Just drink it. Honestly, most women in Britain have drunk it during pregnancy for centuries.

abra1d Thu 15-Oct-09 15:42:40

'It's being normal tea.

fatslag Thu 15-Oct-09 15:43:49

Just drink it. I drank my normal coffee ration through 2 pregnancies. Only gave up alchohol.

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 15-Oct-09 15:46:31

Have a cup...

You are supposed to limit intake to 200 mg per day - a cup of tea (8oz ?) has about 30-40 mg I think

Bubbaluv Thu 15-Oct-09 15:46:43

You can have a few cups a day from memory. I remember thinking that I would never want to drink as many cups as was allowable.

SpawnChorus Thu 15-Oct-09 15:49:16

If you feel strongly about limiting your tea consumption, you could try rooibos (redbush) tea. I never thought another hot beverage could rival Proper Tea, but rooibos is delicious! (And you can drink it like normal tea with milk).

I think it's an appropriate time for "Cup Of Brown Joy

<<sticks kettle on>>

blondiep14 Thu 15-Oct-09 16:52:37

I try to limit myself to 6 cups a day shock but am a total addict.
Decaff tea is horrid and I don't like rooibus.
I drank fewer cups in my 1st trimester (mainly because I felt so sick) but can't seem to cut down further now.
I gave up smoking with DS and rarely have a glass of wine so don't feel too bad. As said, I can't imagine many British women in the past passing up a cuppa!

bubblesincambridge Thu 15-Oct-09 17:44:51

I like decaff tea - it tastes almost as good as normal tea so try it!

jardins Thu 15-Oct-09 20:18:09

Drink it! But don't forget it blocks the iron absorbtion so be careful not to get anemic or drink your heavenly beverage 2 hrs before or after eating meals.

Tigresswoods Thu 15-Oct-09 21:20:42

I LOVE TEA!!!!

Currently limiting myself to roughly 4 cups a day and its fine.

Its mostly hot water and milk, right!

ruddynorah Thu 15-Oct-09 21:24:47

yes it's that it inhibits iron absorption. if you have tea too close to or with a meal, you absorb 90% less of the iron content in that food. i've been reading up, as my iron levels are very low.

comeonbishbosh Thu 15-Oct-09 21:54:36

I'd forgotten about the iron absorption thing. Is that the caffeine, in which case you would be OK if you have decaff afterward a meal? I am a tea addict in general but am trying to mix in with decaf / roobish / peppermint for at least some of my cuppas.

BTW, can highly recommend Yorkshire Tea (made by Taylors) decaff... apparently it's the only decaf tea that isn't 'decaffed' using a bleaching process, and must say tastes *a lot* better than all other decafs I've tried.

MrsMc82 Thu 15-Oct-09 21:59:44

Some decaf tea is awful but i found that decaf yorkshire tea is fab....

ruddynorah Fri 16-Oct-09 08:54:17

no i think it's the tannin that stops the iron.

NatashaE29 Fri 16-Oct-09 09:10:41

I love tea and baby seems healthy enough so why change a habit of a lifetime.

What did they do years and years ago before health officials started scaring everyone!!??

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in