Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

28 week growth scan...small head circumference...should i be worried?

(5 Posts)
lilasimpson Wed 14-Oct-09 22:52:36

was sent for a scan today as fundal height was only 24.5 cm...everything ok except head circumference just a bit below than 3rd centile...according to midwife, due to dolicocephalic shape of head...but not reassured...obviously did some research and read on microcephaly and learning disability...am i paranoid? has someone been there?

Lovelee Wed 14-Oct-09 23:00:18

I was told my DD had a small head circumference after a scan. Further research on my part showed that the sonographer had accidentally recorded the measurements on the wrong week and my DD had a perfectly normal head circumference after all. Check your notes.

lilasimpson Wed 14-Oct-09 23:09:35

unfortunately, i have...and it's fine...thanks anyway...

tutu100 Wed 14-Oct-09 23:17:19

Both my kids had a small head circumference. I can't remember what ds1's was, but ds2's was on the 9th centile at a growth scan I had at 38 weeks. They are both fine. Just have slightly smaller than average heads which when they were small babies meant they looked more in proportion.

IIRC scan have a 10% margin of error, so the measurement may not be as small as they think. If the sonographer was not worried then I don't think you should be. Being on the 3rd centile still means the measurement is within normal range, it's just on the smaller end of the scale.

lilasimpson Wed 14-Oct-09 23:23:22

thanks tut...how old are they now? is it better? the measurement is slightly below 3rd centile though....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now