Talk

Advanced search

Short Cervix Anyone? Looking like bed rest from now on and feeling glum!

(62 Posts)
londonlottie Wed 14-Oct-09 22:36:40

Message withdrawn

shinybaubles Thu 15-Oct-09 08:46:50

Hi londonlottie you may remember me from your antenatal board - have name changed was previously timmette.
Sorry to hear about this birth is also heavily medicalised here in Belgium and I am scanned at every appointment but the gynae has never checked cervix - is it because of the twins?

I did think I had read that the cervix shortens as you are closer to birth - so they could just be keeping on top of things - if they are like the Belgians they will be very cautious.

I also think if you had contractions you would probably know about it - well that's what everyone says - but when I had ds by csection they hooked me up to a machine and told me I was having contractions and I hadn't noticed.

jardins Thu 15-Oct-09 10:15:50

Poor Londonlottie, I'm posting from another highly medicalised country - France. I am currently pregnant with my 3rd (aged 40) but have never had twins. A couple of months ago the midwife commented on how short my cervix was but since then no other remarks have been made during subsequent consultations and internal examinations. Nor have I had any problems in my past pregnancies linked with this lovely short cervix of mine. Obviously the Swiss are caring for your twins but, with every respect, it all sounds a little O.T.T. to me. I imagine you are feeling taken aback by all this? Plus, it's not easy in another country to feel in control, I think.

My thoughts are with you. Please let us know how you fare.

LadyMuck Thu 15-Oct-09 10:17:58

Yes, I had a short cervix here in London. Have a cervical stitch put in at 13 weeks, frequent scans after that, and off work from about 20-24 weeks.

Enjoy the rest. Twins are much more work once they're out!

Claire236 Thu 15-Oct-09 10:40:50

I'm in Germany & spent a week in hospital at 27 weeks having gone in as I noticed some bleeding. I doubt I'd have even been admitted in the UK. I know what you mean about the contractions as I got monitored loads & ended up agreeing I was having contractions as I felt a bit silly saying I couldn't feel anything when the machine said I was having contractions. My cervix started shortening but was normal when it was checked last week. A very long week in hospital taking lots of drugs & I'm now home but not allowed to do much. I'm currently 32+3 & hoping to hang on until at least 35 weeks. Can't be of any help but I certainly know what you mean about boredom, now almost 6 weeks in & finding it really hard. I feel really down & totally useless a lot of the time particularly when my 4 year old wants to do things & I have to tell him I can't. Good luck.

londonlottie Thu 15-Oct-09 11:27:03

Message withdrawn

Carrotfly Thu 15-Oct-09 11:37:47

My SIL is californian and had a short cervix. Her first 2 births uncomplicated, but each ended about a month early. It was only noticed in her third preganancy that her cervix was short, and so she was assessed almost weekly for measurements. Bed rest from about 24 weeks.

All was well though in the end, although the baby was born at 36 weeks too.

Her doctors were unsure if she was 'naturally' built like that or wether as a black native american it was genetic thing.

Anyway, all was well and she has 3 lovely girls now, hope the boredom passes for you too.

illuminasam Thu 15-Oct-09 14:53:42

I have a very short cervix due to previous surgery. Mine is 2cm. It dropped to 1cm at 16 weeks and I had a stitch put in, now it's back up to 2.

The cervix will shorten naturally as the pregnancy progresses and this will be exacerbated with twins.

Ask your doctors if they can start doing ffn (fetal fibronectin) tests. These can assess whether premature labour is likely over the next two weeks.

Unless it drops to 1cm or below, I wouldn't worry too much.

As well as a stitch, I'll also be on supplementary progesterone till 34 weeks which has a proven link in reducing premature labour, so you might want to ask about that.

If you do feel contractions, having a large glass of wine can calm things down!

Nowadays at Kings, you get a cervical scan at your 20-22 week scan and if it's below 2.5cm you get referred to the cervical clinic. Here they scan you to see if it changes. I was actually attending this clinic from 14 weeks due to past history.

I think there is a big push to prevent premature labour as looking after premature babies costs too much money!

londonlottie Thu 15-Oct-09 15:16:03

Message withdrawn

illuminasam Thu 15-Oct-09 15:22:12

Perhaps they checked your cervix as part of that scan and it looked fine so they didn't do the full cervical scan, that's certainly possibly.

They certainly wouldn't worry if it looked over 3cm.

Best of luck to you!

londonlottie Thu 15-Oct-09 16:45:01

Message withdrawn

londonlottie Thu 15-Oct-09 21:01:21

Message withdrawn

shinybaubles Fri 16-Oct-09 09:06:30

Can't give you any medical advice but maybe now there is a reason for their conservative medical managment - I am sure you are in the best place. Sending you lots of sticky glue to keep your babies in place.
Have you asked them what they think will happen? I have found in Belgium you have to ask a very direct question to get a direct answer if you know what I mean.

FifiForgot Fri 16-Oct-09 09:54:35

Oh Lottie, I'm sorry to hear that you have been whipped of to hospital. However, you are in the best place should anything happen.

I remember speaking to my GP a few weeks ago in the midst of a huge "I hate being pregnant, have been pregnant for 12 years and am terrified of having this baby early" fit. She said that babies born after 28 weeks have a very good chance of survival and basically told me to hang on to that thought.

I'm sure everything is going to be fine and your lovely girls will stay where they are until its time for them to arrive, just in time for 2010!

Take care

Claire236 Fri 16-Oct-09 13:40:37

I agree with shinybaubles - here in Germany you have to ask questions that are blunt almost to the point of rudeness to get any info.

I spent a week on tablets to stop contractions but there wasn't much difference until about 5 days in & they did at one point get worse rather than better which was very scary. I was also told that I would be put on a drip if a high dose was needed as the tablets I was on are quite a low dose even though at one point I was taking 10 a day. Obviously don't know if you're on the same thing as I was.

londonlottie Fri 16-Oct-09 14:33:47

Message withdrawn

FifiForgot Fri 16-Oct-09 14:43:53

Oh Lottie, I am so sorry you are feeling so rubbish. I know how frustrating it can be being stuck in hospital when all you want to do is go home.

I'm glad your contractions appear to have stopped, hopefully it means that the girls are going to stay put for a good while yet. Perhaps they will let up with the GD tests tomorrow, they are just being cautious. I normally love fish, but I can imagine how awful boiled hospital fish is!

We'll keep you entertained - thank goodness for the internet!

Take care

Fifi x

Caitni Fri 16-Oct-09 15:20:39

Lottie so sorry to hear that things are still so stressful for you, though glad to hear that no contractions so far today. I've no direct experiences about short cervixes, but there seem to be good tips on here about being blunt in your questioning (not that I for a moment think you're not capable of getting the answers you need!).

Thinking of you doll and hoping things get better soon xxx

PS I'm purposefully avoiding the baby show as I reckon I'd be succumbing to all the crap useless stuff they try to shove at pregnant women. Let me know what crazy things your mother and SIL spot

PPS grr about the GD tests! Boiled fish is just not appetizing so hope they get over that soon

londonlottie Fri 16-Oct-09 16:03:25

Message withdrawn

shinybaubles Fri 16-Oct-09 16:26:39

I hope you feel happier tomorrow londonlottie. If you have internet access can you buy some stuff online that you need it may make you feel a bit more useful.

londonlottie Fri 16-Oct-09 16:35:24

Message withdrawn

Caitni Fri 16-Oct-09 16:44:01

I really feel for you Lottie, getting ready for your babies' arrival is enough to bloody worry about without what you're facing.

I'll have to look up this Baby Secrets book - I'm currently reading Naomi Wolf's Misconceptions (have to feed my feminist side) but reckon I need something that lets me cry (I cried when I heard an opera singer in St Pancras sing Ave Maria today...walking along and suddenly in floods of tears - embarassing blush).

So I've actually just spent a bit of time looking at the Baby Show website and it's actually quite handy to see all the different products. P'raps you could pick certain products/brands you want your Mum and SIL to check out for you? That way you're at least getting a bit indirect first hand opinions. And we're all here to respond to any lists you feel like posting. I LOVE reading what other people are wanting and what experienced mums think (I've just ordered one of these as have found the NCT shop handier than I thought for browsing baby stuff).

Good thing you've got the buggy (mountain buggy envy from me envy) and a Stokke crib already. Though I do think it's time to call in some favours (eg maybe your mum making a flying visit to see you?)

Caitni Fri 16-Oct-09 16:46:37

OK, I laughed out loud at your leaf-kicking, lip-jutting description blushgrin. You're perfectly entitled to be in a funk so ignore me and my "ooh check out the NCT shop" ramblings winksmile.

xxx

shinybaubles Fri 16-Oct-09 17:18:30

Have a good sulk I am particularly good at it - and funnily my ds sticks his bottom lip out too - you have all these little traits to look forwards to in your little ones.

londonlottie Fri 16-Oct-09 21:26:32

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now