Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

gender at 12 week scan

(7 Posts)
lumpasmelly Wed 14-Oct-09 16:46:31

Just had my nuchal scan (12w + 3 days)at the Fetal Medicine Centre in London and my husband asked the sonographer if he could tell the gender. He said that you could tell by the angle of the it that sticks out in the genital area, and he reckoned with 70 - 80% certainty that it was a girl (though he also made it clear that that meant there was a 20 - 30% chance it was a boy, so don't decorate the nursery). Prof Nicolaides had a look and ......don't want to get my hopes up as I would be delighted with a girl after 2 boys, so just wanted to find out other people's experiences (to keep myself in check, and to ensure I don't daydream about pink clothes....)With my last baby, the sonographer at the FMC said it was a boy (she was very certain) and she was right, but I've heard it's easier to tell if its a boy than a girl.......

BigusBumus Wed 14-Oct-09 16:49:37

I went to the FMC for my nuchal scan as well and the sonographerthere said he was 70-80% certain it was a girl too.

He was wrong.

(sorry) x

lumpasmelly Wed 14-Oct-09 16:57:08

Boo hoo! Yes - my friend was told "boy" and then at 20 weeks "girl" so maybe it is not very accurate......or perhaps we all had the same sonographer and he is messing with us!!!

HappyBump Wed 14-Oct-09 17:38:53

A friend was told at her 14 week scan (not at FMC) that it was a boy, then she found out at her 20 week scan that it is a girl. She already has one boy so she hadn't bought too much already luckily!

BigusBumus Wed 14-Oct-09 18:20:36

I think he tells you what you would like to hear to make it a happy experience. We already had 2 boys so telling us it was a girl made us quite pleased.

After all he has 50 % chance of getting it right!

shinybaubles Wed 14-Oct-09 18:50:24

Was also told it was a girl at Nuchal scan now 28 weeks and have had a scan every month and he is a he on all the other scans - sorry.

lumpasmelly Wed 14-Oct-09 19:57:28

Convinced it is a boy now!!! Not one experience of getting it right for a girl so looks like I am destined to remain queen bee in my home!! Time to get those blue clothes down from the attic!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now