Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

2nd pregnancy, nauseous constantly except when eating, how to stop myself being the size of a horse?

(18 Posts)
whattheheck Mon 12-Oct-09 10:34:10

As it says really. Am feeling v down, surprise pregnancy DC1 only 8 months.
Had a great first pregnancy, now feel terrible this time round and feeling constantly sick.
Really don't want to put on masses of weight - worked hard to get the pregnancy weight off last time and people were just saying I looked great when this happens.
I know it's shallow and pathetic, but this has all been such a shock - and am feeling bad about the fact that I am going to put on loads of weight if I keep on eating like I am. Any low cal sensible stuff to eat to combat nausea? Please?

tinylion Mon 12-Oct-09 12:25:44

I'm the same! I have to eat all.the.time, and the things I want to eat are full of carbs and sugar - chocolate digestives/ice lollies/toast and nutella etc. I can't stomach fruit or veg or any meat/fish/potatoes (erugh the thought..)

I think you just have to give in to what you want now, and then be more sensible when the sickness passes (which it will please god!)

If you're a decent weight to begin with (which I wasn't) then you probably won't put it on too noticeably. Also, the portions you're eating are probably smaller? So that makes a difference?

I'm already a lot bigger (9 weeks +5 days) but I'm just thinking that as soon as I give birth, it will all fall off through breast feeding (hopefully?) so I'm trying not to worry too much.

Take your pregnancy vits and try not to worry.

me xx

Kathyis12feethighandbites Mon 12-Oct-09 12:36:18

I had my 3rd baby a week ago after a pregnancy in which I was nauseous all the way through and kept it under control through constant eating. My arse is, in fact, the size of a donkey's, judging by some pics my mum took the other week of me with dcs having donkey rides on the beach at Scarborough shock
I have got to lose a lot of weight but tbh I am sure it will all come off easily enough with bf and a bit of activity - suddenly I am finding myself really not fancying high-calorie foods. I would do what Tinylion says and trust your body to even things up in the end, don't add to your stress right now by worrying about it too much.

However you asked for tips on good things to eat - I found rice cakes were good, also boring plain biscuits like cream crackers. Celery sticks seemed to work quite well for me for a while, too. Good luck.

Tomatefarcie Mon 12-Oct-09 12:57:42

Hi!

27 weeks pg with No3..and the feeling you are talking about has passed! Finally!

I am now bigger than I 've ever been, but I know the weight WILL come off. Eating carbs was the only thing that allowed me to feel sort of ok for a while, so i thought "it's not forever" and indulged.

It really doesn't last forever.

Hth

egypt Mon 12-Oct-09 13:04:35

I'm 11 wks and just the same. Eating constantly and cannot abide salad and healthy foods like fish. It's red meat, potatoes and bread bread bread all the way. I've already put one ONE AND A HALF STONE and slightly worried - but not much! It'll come off. Third baby for me. It does come off.

eat whilst you can!

motherbeyond Mon 12-Oct-09 13:07:10

im in the same boat, nearly 12 weeks preg with number 3..ds is 19 months and had recently got back into the 9 stones and into my size 10's..but when the midwf weighed me,i'd put on 10 1b in 5 weeks!!gutted.but what can you do?i have to keep eating,and i want red meat and carbs ie beef stew with dumplings and mash!yum..it
i plan on going swimming as often as possible once the fatigue and sickness has passed to try and even it out smile

Comma2 Mon 12-Oct-09 13:15:29

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad-- I had to eat all the time too first time around, 2nd was better, maybe because i managed to eat healthier? I had oatmeal for breakfast, which controls blood sugar, then a minestrone or other veggie soup for lunch, then whatever for dinner....days were I didn't have oatmeal I felt sicker and had to eat more. But I know you can't necessarily eat what you'd think you should.
Another thing: you might be in for a bit of a rough ride in general (hope you are not!) but it can be hard to have a baby while expecting, body not quite recovered etc....so best maye to drop concerns about looks etc right away, even though hard, in manner of picking your fights?

whattheheck Mon 12-Oct-09 13:35:51

Kathy snorted with laughter for first time today reading yr msg....
Comma I know what you mean about picking yr fights. if i wasnt feeling so rotten i think i wd be far more laidback - it just feels like had hardly packed pregnancy clothes away (and wore them so much i loathed them)
egypt so far today i have already tuced into a packet of those sweets in the shape of fried eggs. Mmmm nutritous
will go and buy cream crackers and celery and rice cakes as suggested. anyone found ginger any good?

Kathyis12feethighandbites Mon 12-Oct-09 14:00:32

LOL @ eating those fried egg sweets. Maybe the secret is to eat sweets in the shape of healthy foods?

ksld Mon 12-Oct-09 14:03:52

Chewing gum worked for me - the constant need to eat to ward off nausea was sated by constant chewing!

londonlottie Mon 12-Oct-09 14:05:12

Message withdrawn

minimoonumbertwo Mon 12-Oct-09 14:13:35

whttheheck am exactly the same but i actually think the things i am craving (greggs sausage rolls, pork pies, in fact anything involving pastry, crisps etc etc) are actually making me feel worse as i feel so lardy & unhealthy after. SO i am trying to have only 1 'bad' thing a day & for the rest of my snacks something more healthy - even if it's not what i actually fancy, also try and pre-empt your sickness by eating every 1.5-2 hours. eg today i had porridge for breakfast instead of waiting until i got to work & getting a croissant, then mid morning i had a banana even tho it wasn't what i actually wanted, and have just now had carrots & hummus as well as ham & cheese roll instead of crisps. so i'm still eating a LOT more than normal but at least i feel slightly more healthy & I DEFINITELY feel less sick.

Sorry! Quite a ramble!!!

roundabout1 Mon 12-Oct-09 14:49:02

I have the same problem. I'm 7 weeks & have had the most nauseous weekend. When I was pregnant with my dd I ate really healthily, I wanted fruit & fruit juice. Now I just want hot ribena & stew & biscuits & then feel even worse after the biscuits cos of all the sugar. Resorted last night to baking loads of baked potatoes & am eating one for a snack every few hours just with a bit of butter. Hopefully this will end soon.

TheOldestCat Mon 12-Oct-09 14:56:51

Yet another one with the same thing. I ate almost constantly for the first three and a half months, and didn't fancy fruit, veg etc, just stodge. Since the sickness passed round the 15 weeks mark (am now 22 weeks), my appetite has gone right down (I am still merrily stuffing down cake, mind you).

My midwife said this would probably happen and she was right - so eat what you need to (obviously trying to make your snacks as healthy as possible but not beating yourself up as you reach for more biscuits). Like many of us on this thread, things will probably even out.

Remember to chant 'this too will pass'....

whattheheck Mon 12-Oct-09 15:10:02

So glad I am not the only one

Kathy - great idea about concentrating on the shape. They also do some pink and white sugary mushrooms in the same pick'n'mix style packets - cd it count as one of the 5 a day?
minimoo I think that's a good idea about pre-empting nausea. Although I got distracted by the idea of a sausage roll. Luckily DC1 asleep upstairs so cannot go out to get one.
Am chanting 'this too will pass'. Whether will be able to open mouth to chant because stuffed full of bad food in future is debatable grin

holytoast Mon 12-Oct-09 20:30:37

I was like this - but managed to limit the fried egg sandwiches and munch on fruit - however, bread and carbs were the best - but replaced as many as I could with ryvita, and sweets etc with jelly - hadly any cals.

I have found that I am now feeling tons better - in fact most of it wore off by about 10 weeks - now 12 weeks and feeling fantastic - so hopefully the same for you...

Momdeguerre Tue 13-Oct-09 17:50:15

Am also pg with my second - just under 14 weeks - eve while reading this thread I have managed to munch a cereal bar, some love hearts fizzy sweets and an orange!

I am trying to remember that this should (hopefully) fade but I am hungry morning noon and night. I hate the weight gain!!

I am working nights and find they really aggravate the sickness - even eating seems to have little effect on it.

Going to go and find some of those Nairns ginger biccies. . . . .

minimoonumbertwo Wed 14-Oct-09 13:51:01

oh am loving this thread - making me feel so much better about how much i'm eating! have just chowed down a massive bowl of EAT soup - so delicious i want to cry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now