Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

dd's baby has only moved twice today.

(48 Posts)
Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:03:08

My dd is due any day now but her baby has only moved twice today, she is realy scared and I can't remember if this it is normal for the baby to quieten down just before the birth (it was 23 years ago I had her). I have told her to phone the labour ward for advice.

Yorkiegirl Fri 10-Jun-05 19:04:11

Message withdrawn

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:04:34

That is dd's baby is due anyday, must preview.

debs26 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:06:43

give it a good poke and see if it moves then. i was in hospital every 10 days with non moving baby first time round, midwife told me to poke ds2 to make him move (not hard enough to hurt dd obvioulsy but baby is surrounded by water so is not a problem for him/her)

piggyinthemiddle Fri 10-Jun-05 19:08:07

It's probably fine but a baby should be moving considerably more frequently than this. She must ring labour ward and ask to be checked.

debs26 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:08:14

and call labour ward, meant to say

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:11:48

Think she has tried to give dgd a poke, she was also advised that an ice cold drink would make the baby move and she has tried that too.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what the hospital say, its scary isn't it? I didn't tell her that though, told her not to worry, just call them to make sure, but inside my heart is going 10 to the dozen!

charleepeters Fri 10-Jun-05 19:13:26

ds did this loads to me and it wasnt untill i was strapped to the monitor that the little bugger would wake up and kick me to pieces!

swivellyscooter Fri 10-Jun-05 19:14:20

Squirrel, just wanted to say I hope everything turns out to be ok for your dd.

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:14:42

Thanks charleepeters, thats comforting to know.

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:15:59

Thanks swivellyscooter

vickiyumyum Fri 10-Jun-05 19:17:56

if you get asked to do a kick chart and count 10 movements in twelve hours. what you are counting is actual kicks not sets of kicks. so baby may have had only two active periods but in that time has kicked loads. e'g first set of movements 5 kicks, second set 7 kicks.
could this possibly have happened? if so everything is probably ok, but if the hospital that you dd is booked under has a day assessment unit she can give thema call and they will normally ask her to come in and be monitored.

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:22:03

I think that dd would want to go in and be monitored, I'm sure that the hospital has the facility but it is the evening now and I don't know what the staffing situation is like in the evenings there.

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:23:21

I wish dd would ring back (I don't want to call her because I don't want to tie up the phone line ATM)

debs26 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:23:42

they always tell you to go in if you are worried, so dont panic if thats what they say. im sure everything will be fine, i have been strapped to those monitors more times than i can remember and never had a problems, think the babies just get tired sometimes. make sure she takes a book if she goes in, it is v boring

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:26:17

Ok, thanks Debs it is comforting to know that its common for this to happen, my babies were very active right up until birth.

debs26 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:27:23

can you text them to ask if they have any info?

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:33:09

Just phoned her, she's going in to be monitored, I'm looking after her little boy dgs so I'll see her soon. Thank you for your support, I must admit I panicked a bit.

Very glad she is going to be monitored though.

I'll let you know what happens.

swivellyscooter Fri 10-Jun-05 19:34:20

Oh that's good squirrel. The monitors have a knack of waking up those lazy babies! Hope you hear good news very soon.

debs26 Fri 10-Jun-05 19:51:01

glad you got some news squirrel - just be warned i was never less than an hour because they like to be really throrough so dont panic if she is away a while! keep us updated when you know more

spacecadet Fri 10-Jun-05 20:28:37

hope everything is ok, they usually wake up as soon as the monitor is strapped on!

charleepeters Fri 10-Jun-05 20:49:02

any news?

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 20:52:58

No news yet, will let you know as soon as I get any.

Thank you

Squirrel3 Fri 10-Jun-05 22:35:59

The baby is ok, the midwife said she is at the start of labour though, she has been given the option of going home for a few hours so she is coming here to me and I'm looking after her until its time to go in to have her.

I'm going to be a granny!!!!

kama Fri 10-Jun-05 22:38:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: