Talk

Advanced search

Possible missed miscarriage but symptoms returning - any advice?

(19 Posts)
Prinpo Sun 11-Oct-09 19:02:57

Hi, I'm 7+1 with number 3. I had a very early bleed at 4 weeks and, because I had a mc earlier in year, my GP sent me for a scan at 6 weeks. They found a gestational sac but nothing else so did blood tests 2 days apart. I haven't yet spoken to the doctor to get the stats, but the nurse said my HcG was fairly low (just over 4,000) and not rising very much over 48 hours. I'd pretty much resigned myself to a missed miscarriage, especially as my symptoms all but went at about 5 weeks. However, my symptoms have come back today. I've had no bleeding (beyond the isolated bleed right at the beginning) or cramping. I also don't have that sense of dread, but I don't know whether I'm just kidding myself.

I'm due to have another scan on Wednesday but, as ever, I'm impatient and would really like to hear other people's experiences, good or bad. I don't want to get my hopes up but I do feel so pregnant today. Am I just being an irrational old bag?

SCARYspicemonster Sun 11-Oct-09 19:11:27

If they didn't find anything else, then I think it's unlikely you are still pregnant, sorry

I had a missed miscarriage which wasn't discovered until my 12 week scan but they thought the foetus had probably died around the 7-8 week mark. I was gobsmacked when they told me - I'd had no bleeding at all and still felt pregnant. The MW told me that my body still thought it was oregnant too - if I'd taken a pregnancy test, she reckoned it would still show as positive.

I hope I'm wrong but false hope is horrible IME

teatank Sun 11-Oct-09 19:23:54

hi prinpo i had a misscarriage 3 months ago and a simalar things happened to me. i think i just couldnt accept my baby had gone and my body started playing tricks on me. i hope your case turns out differently but i am so sorry to say i think your probably not pregnant. i hope am wrong.

Prinpo Mon 12-Oct-09 11:34:13

Thank-you both for your honesty. I'm so sorry to hear of your experiences and wish you both the best if you get pregnant again.

I'm having a second scan on Wednesday to see whether anything's changed and whether a heartbeat has miraculously materialised (incase my dates were out the first time) but I'm not really holding out any hope as the HcG results don't look good.

Thanks once again for being straight with me - it was what I needed to hear.

SCARYspicemonster Wed 14-Oct-09 08:39:25

Hi Prinpo - thanks for your very gracious reply. I have a DS now so it all came right in the end. Hope we're all wrong and everything's good today. Will be thinking of you

Prinpo Thu 15-Oct-09 13:33:30

WE HAVE A HEARTBEAT! Had scan yesterday, foetus and heartbeat found! Lovely doctor, said not to worry about HcG levels as inexact science and now they've seen the heartbeat that's all that counts. I'm shell-shocked, ecstatic and have the biggest grin on my face. Determined not to spend rest of this trimester worrying. If miscarriage happens then I'll deal with it; otherwise, I'm just going to enjoy this pregnancy.

Thanks again for your comments. It's good to get a straight response from people and it definitely helped me to prepare myself which, if the result had been an unhappy one, would have been necessary.

Very best wishes to you all.

westlondongirl Thu 15-Oct-09 13:39:57

Just read your thread - congratulations! I had a couple of bleeds early on and am now at 20 weeks. Hope your pregnancy goes well.

browntrout Thu 15-Oct-09 14:40:38

what wonderful news - many congratulations and I wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy smile

RnB Thu 15-Oct-09 15:15:40

Oh Prinpo grin how wonderful!!

Congratulations x

SCARYspicemonster Thu 15-Oct-09 15:28:15

Oh wow! How completely brilliant - have a HUGE smile on my face. Have been anxiously checking this thread to see if there's any news and imagined you being too upset to post.

It's not often I'm pleased to have been proved completely wrong but this is one of those rare occasions That's made my day

rebeccacad Thu 15-Oct-09 16:26:11

That's so great congratulations - AND the statistics on having a miscarriage once they have seen a heartbeat drop to 5% - and much lower as you go week by week through your first trimester.

Best of luck!

I had a couple of scares but am now at 20 weeks and can feel the baby kicking as I type. x

Prinpo Thu 15-Oct-09 17:03:21

I've heard those stats about once they've seen the heartbeat too - very reassuring. However, in last pregnancy I felt pretty safe by week 11 and then miscarried so in a way I feel it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings (seems an apt phrase in pregnancy!). It's lovely to hear about how it feels at 20 weeks as it brings it all back. I absolutely adore the feeling of having the baby kick and can't wait to get to that stage. That said, both mine were breech so towards the end of the pregnancy they were kicking down into my pelvis which made me jump out of my seat and give an embarrassing little scream...

Thanks to everyone for responding. I didn't post yesterday because I didn't really think anyone would have followed the thread blush and it's really lovely to read your posts. Still not stopped grinning! grin

stephie101 Fri 16-Oct-09 08:58:43

Hey Prinpo thats amazing, I'm really pleased but trying not to get my own hopes up, I had my Hcg levels checked on wednesday after only finding out an hour earlier I was pregnant!!! I have had intermittent bleeding since monday, 4 postive pregnancy tests, but the Hcg level was only 395, I'm back today to see if they have risen or fallen, and yep I'm petrified. I wish you the best of luck...xx

Prinpo Fri 16-Oct-09 14:02:19

Hi stephie, I'm sorry that you're going through such uncertainty. Early pregnancy is so fraught with worry. I also had my progesterone level checked (which I'd never heard of) and that, apparently, was fine. Have they checked yours? If you've only just found out that you're pregnant then I'm guessing you may be too early for anything to be picked up on a scan, which makes it harder.

I really hope that you get a good result today - please let us know what happens. I'll be thinking of you.

stephie101 Fri 16-Oct-09 17:57:04

hey there Prinpo, well the hcg level test came back and is now 385, so they have said i'm probably misscarrying, which is sad, I'm just very anxious to what happens next as the intermittent bleeding has been going on since monday am, and i'm not in pain....time will tell, back at the hospital on monday for a further test, thanks for your reply..x

MandaHugNKill Fri 16-Oct-09 19:22:55

Ah, I was just about to tell you my step-sisters experience - she went for a scan last week after getting a positive pregnancy test and a week later being in absolute agony. By dates, she was just over six weeks but all they found was a sac, no pole and certainly no heartbeat.

I told her this would be perfectly normal if she in't ovulate on 'textbook' day 14... a later O would mean all that's visable at such an early scan would be the sac. She was to go back Thusday (just gone) for another scan.

Baby and heartbeat all present an correct grin she was given 6+2 as her gestational date by size.

I was going to say this could well be the case for you - sometimes it take just a few days more for these teeeeeny tiny measurements to be picked up by ultrasound; it's literally millimetres!

So pleased you also have a good outcome. Congratulations! Here's hoping the rest of your pregnancy is bog-standard wink

Prinpo Fri 16-Oct-09 21:00:23

Stephie, I'm really sorry to hear your news. I'm glad that they're getting you back in so quickly so that you can find out more about what's going on. My thoughts are with you.

I hope you've got people around to look after you this weekend. Sofa, chocs and some crappy magazines - always works for me.

Good luck on Monday - if you feel like posting it would be good to find out how things go for you. x

stephie101 Sat 17-Oct-09 09:09:43

Well, i'm actually surprisingly OK!!! How I dont know, theres no pain, no blood loss nothing, its all very odd! However any excuse to sit about eat alot and do nothing is a great idea.. will post on Monday when I know more, thanks again.x

Prinpo Tue 20-Oct-09 17:56:32

Hi Stephie, any news? Hope you're doing ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now