Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Routine smear test letter - should I make an appointment?

(14 Posts)
Caitni Fri 09-Oct-09 11:46:32

Hi

I've just had a letter through for a routine smear test and I'm 19 weeks pregnant. Should I just go along as usual? I'm not sure whether being pregnant means I should just delay it until after the baby is born...

Any insights/experiences before I phone my GP's surgery would be much appreciated.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 09-Oct-09 11:48:13

Depends on your GP I think - some of them do, some of them don't. It's not dangerous to do it but perhaps they just don't realise you are pregnant. Most people wait till their six week postnatal check.

sally78 Fri 09-Oct-09 11:54:28

I had a bleed yesteraday at 22 weeks pregnant and the consultant at the hopsital did an examination. Anyway whilst there they said NOT to have a smear until 16 weeks after birth as the results can be wrong due to hormone changes. You need to call the number at the top of the letter and they will send a reminder around 4 months after the birth as you may have more on your mind by then! HTH xx

bubblesincambridge Fri 09-Oct-09 11:55:59

I don't think you can have it done whilst your preggers - leave it til after baby has come.

anniebigpants Fri 09-Oct-09 12:00:47

I had a letter come through when i was 22 weeks pregnant, when i rang them they said they would send me a letter out to go for a smear after the baby was born.

anniebigpants Fri 09-Oct-09 12:01:11

I had a letter come through when i was 22 weeks pregnant, when i rang them they said they would send me a letter out to go for a smear after the baby was born.

anniebigpants Fri 09-Oct-09 12:01:38

Woops, sorry for double post!

Caitni Fri 09-Oct-09 12:05:45

Thanks for your responses.

I actually just spoke to my GP's receptionist. She said to wait until 12 weeks after the baby's born, as hormonal changes during pregnancy mean they don't like to do them then in case something is missed.

Apparently I don't get a reminder then hmm but I've always kept up-to-date with my smears so I should remember (hopefully!).

sally78 Fri 09-Oct-09 12:28:27

It's annoying how each area of the county does things differently! I was told 16 weeks, you were told 12, I get a reminder, you have to remember! Its a good job we are intelligent!

whomovedmychocolate Fri 09-Oct-09 13:17:42

I had mine at six weeks post partum (but had caesarian so maybe that changes things). I wouldn't have remembered if the GP hadn't chased me (literally - down the corridor yelling 'before you run away the nurse needs to see you' hmm)

Kingsroadie Fri 09-Oct-09 14:48:55

I have had two letter due as smear was due in August I think. I have ignored them and have been told to have it "after the baby's born". Helpful. smile

Fajitas Fri 09-Oct-09 14:52:26

I rang my doctor's surgery and the receptionist said "Er, I have no idea". Great stuff. Thanks for the help here!

Caitni Fri 09-Oct-09 15:14:32

Seems like there's precisely NO consistency across different PCTs then hmm.

I've actually done a bit of googling and some sites say you should go for smears while pregnant if you're due one as long as it's followed up with a smear after the birth.

WMMC was grin at the image of doc chasing you down the corridor! Bet that happens loads!

argento Fri 09-Oct-09 15:20:46

My mum apparently had smear test when she was pregnant - and they always came back abnormal, but her doctor said not to worry as it was probably due to hormonal changes. Pretty much pointless then hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now