VBAC...very confused...had 2 c-sections, should I have third or try VB?(13 Posts)
Hi, I've had 2 c-sections. The first was because DD was undiagnosed breech. I went into labour but wasn't dilating and it was eventually discovered this was because DD was a footling breech. My first experience scared me so much that I went for an elective c-section with DS. This was a relatively straightforward procedure other than the fact that they cut DS's forehead when they cut me.
I am now 21 weeks pregnant and presumed I would have to have another c-section but I had my consultants appointment and was told the choice is mine. There was no pressure at all to have a c-section. They don't know for sure but 'guess' that the risk of the scar tearing after 2 c-sections is 1 in 100. Consultant said to me you need to think theres a 99% chance you won't tear. She did say they would monitor me and I may need an emergancy c-section if labour doesn't progress natuarlly.
DC will be 4 and 6 when this baby is due. My main concern with a c-section is not being able to drive for 6 weeks. We don't live close to DC's school & nursery so without the car I will need to walk for approx 3 hours each day. This sounds great in theory for getting the weight off but I wonder how stressful it will be working around baby's feeds and in the cold weather in February, when baby is due. Advantages of c-section for me are that I know what to expect so not so frightened, I can arrange childcare for DC, and DP can be here when it happens (he works 2.5 hours away from home if the trains run on time!). Also, if I go for an elective c-section, the consultant performing the procedure is more experienced in 3rd time c-sections (not sure how relevant this is??).
I don't want to place this baby at any increased risk during delivery and am also very scared about trying a VB but can see the huge practical benefits if a VB was successful. I am very confused and was hoping to hear from people who have had a VBAC. Thanks
Forgot to say the hospital have offered me an appointment with an expert on VBAC to talk it through more thoroughly. What questions should I be asking?
I had a VBAC almost two weeks ago. I also had a chat with an expert at a VBAC clinic before making the decision that that was what I wanted. My first DC was born via EMCS as he was distressed (he was actually very poorly when he was born), and so unless the same symptoms started during my pregnancy, we were working along the lines that all was normal with me and baby this time around and there should be no reason not to have a vaginal delivery.
I had the same concerns about looking after DS, now three, after the birth, and how incapacitated a section would leave me. Although I could have had plenty of help, in terms of my mum and MIL staying with us (they live a long way away so would have to stay), I really didn't want to have that for 6 weeks after the birth, as I wanted time to bond as a family on our own.
So, I decided to go for a VBAC, and I can say that I'm so pleased I did. As it happens I went into labour spontaneously on my due date, and my DD was born later that day, after a relatively short labour. I was carefully monitored, and there were a few scary moments when the monitor picked up some problems, but actually it all turned out to be fine and DD was delivered just a few minutes later anyway, completely healthy.
So, my story is a positive one, but I ubderstand your concerns as I shared them as well. If we decide to have another DC though, I'll definitely be going for a VB. I was up and about within hours and have had no trouble looking after DS. In fact, it was easier immediately after the birth than it was in late pregnancy!
Congratulations Countrybump! Lovely to hear your positive experience, thank you. I hope you are enjoying your new DD and DS is adapting well!
I just had my third c-s and it was not as easy as I expected. I hadn't realised what a problem scar tissue from previous surgery could be; my bladder got damaged and 6 weeks later the spinal still hasn't worn off completely. I chose elective cs because I was scared of rupture but I wish now I had gone for vbac.
The question I would ask the vbac expert is how quickly would they detect and respond to a rupture? I read some nasty stories about ruptures being undetected - that is what put me off vbac. Hope that helps.
Hi lazylion, sorry to hear that you've had a tough time of your c-section.
I never even considered that the recovery from a third c-s would be any different to nos. 1 & 2, so thank you for posting. Good question to ask as well, will add that to my list. Hope you recover soon and that your bladder damage can be fixed. Thanks again.
Hi whatsthetime, I'm about to meet a VBAC expert midwife next week too and need to think of what I want to ask. I'm so buoyed up by hearing positive VBAC stories!
I've only had one section (emergency: failed induction) but really want to avoid another one. I'm a bit terrified of what will happen if I go overdue again - I guess that'll be one of my questions. I'll be on the trampoline from 37 weeks just to make sure...
Goodluck Hobnob. Let us know how you get on with VBAC expert. My consultant said that they would let me go past due date with a c-section booked(can't remember how many weeks she said though!) but under no circumstance will they induce you or give any drugs to speed up labour.
Im hoping for a VBAC this time after emerg section last time. What are the stats on rupture after 1 section?
Can woman die from this or is that rare?
unfortunately, a uterine rupture is more of an immediate risk to the baby.
I've had 2 cs, 1 em and 1 elective as like the OP, I was too nervous to try for a vbac after my 1st experience.
However, as we had dc2 in a completely different area and the care I received was so much better, if we do have a dc3, I am tempted to try for a vbac, but after 2 sections, I just don't know how practical/safe this would be.
I don't think the risk of rupture is significantly affected by 2CS rather than 1 (seethis
whatsthetime I had a fab meeting with the consultant MW today after a scan for placenta praevia. I've written it all up here for cathartic purposes. She also read the notes from my emcs (not aloud, sadly) and said that I dilated to 5cm last time and my cervix was described as 'stretchy', which oddly is the best compliment I've had in ages!
Thanks very much Hobnob - your notes and the link are very, very helpful. LOL's at stretchy cervix! Goodluck with your VBAC, let us know how you get on.
Flappythebat - I'm due to see VBAC midwife soon so will post any further info I get on VBAC after 2 C-S.
hobnob, thank you for the link, very interesting reading.
I ended up with emcs with dd1 after being induced at 42 weeks, head never fully engaged, baby was back to back, laboured for 24 hours, some foetal distress, no progress after 8 hours stuck at 6cms dilated. My estimated 3-3.5kg baby came out and weighed 4.6kg!!
Throughout my pregnancy with dd2. I was told she was going to be even larger than dd1!
She weighed a whole 3.3kg
If I hadn't have been told she was larger, I may have considered a vbac, but now I know I don't always have humungous babies, I could be tempted to attempt a vbac if we ever have dc3.
whatsthtetime, will be interested to hear what she has to say, thank you!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.