Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Yucky one - bleeding while pg...don't read if easily offended. Advice if not. TIA

(10 Posts)
bb99 Fri 09-Oct-09 09:18:56

I'm fine - have 2 dcs and 2mcs under my belt (officially I am an experienced mother, whatever that means - LOL) Have just about got my head around the stress and all of what's happening and WILL survive whatever happens over the next 6 months!!

Currently pg with pg no 5 (14+5) and, hopefully bubs no 3!

BUT had a threatenned mc @ 11 wks and have had bleeding virtually eversince, with a couple of gushy biggies. Have had growth scans and all seems OK so far - next scary scan is 19th!

I know the reality of this pg working out is very slim, but I am a bit starved of information at the moment (waiting for antenatal appts with experts) and wondered if anyone had any good websites or medical journal references about continued bleeding in pg that I could peruse or pertinent information about the psyiology of pregnancy eg wot bits go where, as I know the bleed is outside the sack, but my biological xp of pg is somewhat limited (does the sack go round the placenta? How does it all stick together? Could it be coming from anywhere other than the placenta - very scary placenta questions as I have had a placenta pack up before, hence one late mc! etc) Seems that I am the one doing the bleeding.

BTW, please don't be nice to me, but don't be nasty either IYKWIM grin

OneBoyOneGirl Fri 09-Oct-09 12:45:42

Sorry, no answers for you re: the facts but just wanted to mark the post as i am too interested in this. I have had regular bleeding with my two pregnancies, and have also suffered two m/c and two successful pregnancies.

With DD they never really bothered. With DS i was admitted at 20 something weeks and stayed til he was born at 33 weeks, but they checked the placenta and everything and no reason was ever found??

mrsmortenharket Fri 09-Oct-09 12:51:42

i think in medical terms 'experienced mother' may mean that your body is used to pregnancy?

could you speak to your midwife or pregnancy unit at your local hospital?

FlightAttendant Fri 09-Oct-09 12:53:34

I can't think anyone would be nasty to you. sad

I really really hope it works out and you makeit to the finish line smile

mrsmortenharket Fri 09-Oct-09 12:57:58

me too smile

alana39 Fri 09-Oct-09 13:08:44

bb I don't have any references but I would say that if you've been having scans and the baby is still hanging on in there then actually your chances of the pregnancy continuing are better than very slim.

I'm pg with no 3 now, due in 3 weeks - after a mc last year. Started to have light bleeding just after my 12 week scan this time and it continued on and off for 4 weeks. It wasn't heavy at all, although I know several people who have had some proper bleeding and still been fine.

Could it be coming from anywhere other than the placenta? Almost certainly, I happened to have a hospital antenatal appointment for another reason while I was bleeding, and having seen the baby was fine on the scan the obstetrician was looking for a bleed behind the placenta (subchorionic haematoma) which they didn't find (if you really want to google those there is loads of information, of varying degrees of encouragement though tbh) and so she said she thought it was probably bleeding from the uterine wall itself. Apparently the rapid growth of the uterus around the end of the 1st trimester can cause vessels to stretch and bleed. She also mentioned the possibility of bleeding from marginal vessels in the placenta, again during a time of rapid growth, which could come and go.

Problem is that when you try to look up bleedign in pregnancy too much of it starts with a vague comment that often the pg continues with no problem - then launches into several pages on miscarriage. From anecdotal evidence it is very common to bleed, have no cause established, and for the pregnancy to continue fine.

Sorry not to be able to provide references, good luck with finding out information and with the rest of your pregnancy.

bb99 Fri 09-Oct-09 22:49:14

thanks for the info and good wishes.

I am trying to find out if it could be from anywhere other than the placenta. It seems to be below the placenta and the info on bursty blood vessels is a useful and new one on me.

Don't mean to be a doubting Thomas and I am keeping my fingers crossed, it's just we've been there before and so understand the realities and complexities of having babies!

Good luck Alana39, I will try googling again and doc bothering as necessary...

morocco Fri 09-Oct-09 22:53:05

I had bleeding with ds2's pregnancy - it was a 'retroplacental haematoma' basically a bleed from behind the placenta - the placenta was pulling away from the wall of the uterus (which really hurt one time it happened - a sharp pain and big gush of blood) and there was a bruise that formed. the bruise was gone by about 16 weeks and the bleeding stopped around then. rest of pregnancy was fine and ds2 is happy healthy 5 year old
hth

morocco Fri 09-Oct-09 22:57:06

sorry - meant to say - don't go googling all this stuff - you end up depressing yourself (been there done that). my pregnancy was absolutely fine with happy outcome - step away from the internet!

juuule Fri 09-Oct-09 22:57:56

Okay, can only relate my experiences.

Have had 9 successful pregnancies and 8 m/c.

dc6 I bled with until around 21w and was convinced that I was going to m/c any day. She ix now approaching her 13th birthday. Despite numerous scans nobody could say where the bleeding was coming from. But the pg continued until 40+10 and then my dd was born.

I think all you can do is take it one day, one week at a time and hopefully the necessary time will pass for you to deliver a healthy baby.
So very difficult a time for you, I know.
Hang on in there and good luck to you both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now