Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

are my hcg levels low

(11 Posts)
missdashwood Fri 09-Oct-09 08:26:41

Good morning all. I've just done a pregnancy test and got a positive result! (shock) The result showed one dark line and one faint line, does this mean my hcg levels are low and should I be concerned? With my first pregnancy I had two very dark lines straight away.

Divvy Fri 09-Oct-09 08:32:52

No its fine, you have probably tested earlier than you did with your first pregnancy.

Congratulations! grin

missdashwood Fri 09-Oct-09 08:40:33

Thanks for advice divvy, still in shock!

BiscuitStuffer Fri 09-Oct-09 09:02:43

I had that too - the digital said I'd been pregnant for 2-3 weeks but on the other one, the line was very faint. I'd had 2 very strong lines before. I too am hoping it's all ok!

Divvy Fri 09-Oct-09 09:05:42

The thing to remember is that over a few days your tests will show getting darker, if you test again.

cloudwine Mon 12-Oct-09 15:41:20

bump

cloudwine Mon 12-Oct-09 15:55:49

Hi

I'm in the same position missdashwood. I confirmed my faint line with a blood test at the docs, but when I rang for the results, I expected to be told positive or negative, but was told my hcg reading was 30. Dr told me today to do another test and it would probably be darker (as it's now 5 days since the first faint line)

So, did a test again today- still faint. Am really starting to worry that something may be wrong. Does anyone know if test brands can vary ie. some show stronger than others. would really appreciate some stories of hope to help quieten the alarm bells

PS Sorry, I'm not hijacking your thread missdashwood!

denialandpanic Tue 13-Oct-09 10:37:25

I've been experiencing similar problems with faint lines / negatives depending on brand. What I have figured out over the last few days is the more heavily marketed as 99% accurate more expensive brands are so accurate because they have a detection limit of 50 units of whatever they measure hcg in. The cheaper brand I used (superdrug) has a detection limit of 10.

Basically the cheaper one will pick up hcg earlier but the more expensive one has such a high detection limit that if you test positive on it you are further along.

can you tell I trained as an analytical chemist with all this detection limit analysing?

My doctor is doing two beta hcg blood tests. I just had one and I go back on thursday for results and another one.

Google tells me some women have very low hcg and healthy pregnancies. I think the important thing is whether your levels are rising and how fast.

Essentially whatever the science we just have to wait and see the old fashioned way

jphc Tue 13-Oct-09 11:37:34

Denialandpanic

Hi, I am week late today, taken two sainsburys brands PT and both are negative! I've been feeling terrible for a week:- feel very nauseaus every morning, very bad headaches, constipation, frequent trips to the bathroom even though drinking very little, gone off coffee(very big coffee drinker)and feeling absolutely knackered all the time!

Still no Af, whats going on! Advice very much needed.

denialandpanic Tue 13-Oct-09 13:23:58

jphc I can only repeat the very good advice I have had on here. Wait a few days and repeat with first urine of day whilst not drinking excessively. frustrating isn't it!

cloudwine Thu 15-Oct-09 09:20:29

Thanks denial.

Dr told me the same advice, so stubborn though I am, I will have to listen now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now