Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Reassure an emetophobe please?

(3 Posts)
l39 Thu 08-Oct-09 22:12:11

I'm 39 weeks today and one of my eight year olds is ill with vomiting. To be honest I think my hormones are dampening my natural response to this as I haven't had a panic attack. I always manage to keep calm while a child needs me and panic later {it's been a couple of years since the last time} so now she's asleep I'm rather surprised to be calm enough to type. But I'm not exactly happy!

Stress makes labour less likely, doesn't it? I'm worrying about whether it would be fair to go to hospital, if I did go into labour in the next couple of days, when I could be contagious. It's less terrifying than worrying about getting ill...

Really I'd like someone to speak up and say I haven't caught anything and in a few days I will be able to stop worrying! How long are the incubation periods for the most common infections? I have an antenatal on Tuesday, will I be clear by then?

Comma2 Fri 09-Oct-09 01:52:29

I think most common infections take 3-7 days to incubate. You should tell your doctor, maybe he has an idea. Obsessive hand washing is also good.

And yes, you shoudl go to the hospital when you are in labour--very worst case, you can wear a face mask, but somehow I think they should be able to handle a sick person.

l39 Fri 09-Oct-09 09:06:58

Thanks, Comma2. At least by my due date I should be able to stop worrying, assuming none of the other children get ill in the interim.

Hand washing is taken care of, also disinfecting light switches, door handles and keyboards.

As to masks, I have myself firmly convinced that while respiratory illnesses spread in the air, gastro-intestinal illnesses need touch. If I let myself think otherwise I'd never leave the house without a gas mask

Everyone seems to feel ok so far today. The baby was almost frenzied last night probably getting adrenaline from me but today she is calmer, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now