Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swine flu vaccine

(3 Posts)
lumpasmelly Thu 08-Oct-09 11:20:21

Hi all - just wondering what your GPs/consultants/midwives have said about the swine flu vaccine, and whether or not you should have it while pregnant. I went to see my consultant the other day, and she told me (I quote) " I will not let you have it - you cannot have a live vaccine when you are pregnant". Now, she's actually had the jab herself, so she's not one of those anti vaccine people, but I was a bit surprised that she thought it was dangerous when the government is stating that the jab will be given to pregnant women as a matter of priority. Do you think that the government is just weighing up the risk/cost of unknown adverse affects on unborn babies versus the known cost of dealing with lots of very sick pregnant women?....and deciding that it's more cost effective and probably will save more lives to push the latter? I'm a bit freaked out by it all TBH....thought i could just get the jab and relax, but am not worrying. What do the rest of you think?

wafflesmum Thu 08-Oct-09 17:38:08

It's not a live vaccine. Neither is the vaccine given for ordinary 'seasonal' flu. I am 12 weeks and my obstetrician advised me (as an asthmatic and diabetic) to get the vaccination. In her words - "It is a dead vaccine, better to get it that way than live". I also work in a school and have had flu twice in the last 5 years. I think my chances of catching it and developing complications are pretty high. Having said all that, it still feels strange to think about being vaccinated for anything while pregnant.

gizzy1973 Thu 08-Oct-09 19:53:05

I certainly wont be having it even if it is recommended as i am not prepared to be a guinea pig as its not been tested on pregnant women so would rather take my chances

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now