Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stretch marks and sticking out belly buttons

(14 Posts)
bubblesincambridge Thu 08-Oct-09 10:06:00

What stage do these start happening?

funtimewincies Thu 08-Oct-09 10:14:00

Completely different for different people and different pregnancies, I'm afraid.

Ds - no stretch marks and no popping out belly button. He was in an ideal 'head down, back to my tummy position' from 28 weeks. I plastered my bump in Diprobase to keep it moisturised.
This pg - no stretch marks yet but belly button has been out most of the time since 26 weeks (I'm 32 weeks now). He/she is in a head down but 'back-to-back' position. I keep forgetting to put any moisturiser on my bump, but my mum didn't get stretch marks and apparently your skin elasticity is largely genetic.

I suppose the answer is the pregnancy equivalent of 'how long is a piece of string?'.

ErikaMaye Thu 08-Oct-09 10:29:59

I started getting stretch marks quite early, but think that might be because I was quite slim before hand. Am 34+4 today and still have my belly bar in - no popping here yet!!

lumpasmelly Thu 08-Oct-09 10:57:44

Mine all came in the last week of pregnancy no. 1.....I was 2 weeks overdue and congratulating myself on avoiding them, while smearing copious amounts of expensive lotions on my belly three times a day! ....then i felt that burning ripping sensation and my stomach started to crack like dodgy knicker elastic!!! i was SO upset!!!! (wiped the smug grin of my face to be sure!). Don't mind them so much now, and pregnant with DC3 I can see them beginning to get worse! My mum got none, but then she had us when she was 25, so much more elasticity than someone in their thirties. Don't worry about them if you get them - they do fade! Honest!

illgetyoubutler Thu 08-Oct-09 13:43:52

stretch marks are a result of mineral zinc deficiency.
its not based on genetics, 'pot-luck', creams or otherwise.
my mum and nan have them, i have never had them whilst pregnant with both my children. i am slim, and as for creams, iv been too lazy to rub cream of any kind into my belly for days on end.smile

funtimewincies Thu 08-Oct-09 19:17:23

I'll clarify what I meant. Stretch marks are not down to one single cause, genetic or dietary.

Many scientists think that the elasticity of your skin and its reaction to the hormones produced at different times in your life is to a certain extent genetic (they disagree about the perecentage of influence, 50-90%).

Dietary factors also have an influence and, as illgetyoubutler says, a diet deficient in zinc (and certain fat-soluable vitamins) make stretch marks more likely.

Creams simply stop you itching as much and thereby irritating already delicate and inflamed skin.

texasholdem Thu 08-Oct-09 19:34:02

I didn't actually get any stretch marks until straight after DD was born, well thats when I noticed them anyway as there are only 2 and quite small. My belly button did pop out though, cant remember when, it was maybe at about 30-odd weeks smile

ErikaMaye Fri 09-Oct-09 11:18:50

Someone please tell me they disappear immediately after your give birth and you pop instantly back to your pre-pregnancy body! grin

funtimewincies Fri 09-Oct-09 19:48:22

They 'disappear' in the sense that they change from an angry red to a silvery, less noticable colour.

My pre-pregnancy belly already had a squidgy muffin top, so yes it does grin! Actually, trying to keep up with breastfeeding ds and having no time to make myself lunch meant that I was a stone lighter than pre-pregnancy within 6 weeks of giving birth.

lal123 Fri 09-Oct-09 19:50:41

have quite a few stretchmarks with DD2 - but my belly button has remained an inny throughout both pregnancies. Every so often DD1 (5)asks to check if my belly button has popped and reports on progress to her Daddy and anyone else who listens

ErikaMaye Sun 11-Oct-09 23:43:08

My belly button appears to be flat now... Or at least only has the tiniest dip in it!!

pippa251 Mon 12-Oct-09 08:20:53

sorry to tell you this but not until i was 3 day over due- gutted! 12 weeks after having her and they're a little less red

KathleenMay Mon 12-Oct-09 10:08:05

MY BELLY BUTTON HAS STAYED IN AND I'M 40+1 TODAY. THINK THATS GENETIC AS WELL AS MY MUM SAYS HERS NEVER POPPED OUT. DIDNT GET STRETCH MARKS TILL ABOUT 37 WEEKS, THE MARKS THEMSELVES COULD BE WORSE, THEY'RE THIN RATHER THAN INCH WIDE STRIPES WHICH I'VE HEARD OF! BUT I THINK I HAVE P.E.P... PRURITIC URTICARIAL PAPULES - WHAT A MOUTHFUL! BASICALLY ITCHY (VERY ITCHY) RED RAISED BUMPS IN THE STRETCH MARKS. I KNOW IT WILL GO AWAY, BUT THE ITCH IS FRANTIC. THE GP COULD GIVE AN ANTIHISTAMINE I KNOW, BUT ANYONE GOT ANY HOME REMEDIES?

BexJ78 Mon 12-Oct-09 16:50:59

I am 32+3. my belly button is still in although looks like it might pop at any mo. was feeling very smug about having no stretch marks and then have got them in the last week, in exactly the same place as my mum said she did with us...what a bummer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now