Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

name this bump

(24 Posts)
Comma2 Thu 08-Oct-09 01:55:15

Please, tell me what this bump under my rib is! It is large, about the area of hand's palm, and round, doesn't seem to have anything attached to it (eg legs or back), is bouncy when you press on it....I could swear it is the head, but experienced doctor maintains he can feel the head in the pelvis where it should be....I can't feel anything there....WAAAA! Is this kid breech?? Why is that bump pressing so hard against the outside of my tummy?? Is it the heini? Where are the legs?? Do I have to turn this kid?? *break down exhausted*

Comma2 Thu 08-Oct-09 02:00:55

...and it WIGGLES ALL THE TIME!

bringonthetrumpets Thu 08-Oct-09 02:07:36

it's probably the little bum! definitely sounds like a bum to me. grin they're always all wiggly.

bringonthetrumpets Thu 08-Oct-09 02:08:47

how to tell your baby's position

Jacksmamwahahaha Thu 08-Oct-09 05:54:49

Bum, bum, bum, bum... BUM!!!

grin

Comma2 Thu 08-Oct-09 06:32:44

oh goody then! thank you lovely ladies!

nooka Thu 08-Oct-09 06:59:09

I had several experienced doctors and midwives feel my bump and say of yes, here is the head, here is the bum. Then we had a scan, and they were all wrong! The bum was indeed the head. But then he was transverse oblique which is apparently fairly unusual. Likely he'd been in an odd position for a while as he came out very squashed (unusual for a c-section). Looking back I do remember being kicked right out at the side of my tummy. Great site bott grin

Comma2 Thu 08-Oct-09 07:16:13

Ugh!
My first was flipping around all the time, so was constantly being scheduled for cesarians and trying to spin her.

If it is the bum, how come there are no legs on it? I don't understand how it can be so prominet without anything on it! The feet kick on the right, so there should be a leg going there, no?

VanillaIce Thu 08-Oct-09 12:01:20

Anyone know at what stage your baby needs to be head-down for labour? I am 23 weeks and my MW said baby's head was already down - but surely they move around a lot until nearer the due date? Or will he stay like that now?

Jacksmamwahahaha Thu 08-Oct-09 15:01:10

At 23 weeks your DS can still flip around quite a bit. Some do, some don't. But even a transverse baby can shift head-down as late as during active labour (my friend's 9 lb DS did this in April)... it's only when they're breech in the last 4 weeks, esp w first baby, that there are concerns.

MrsJamin Thu 08-Oct-09 15:05:36

DS was breech and I had lots of rib pain, his head actually made my ribs move permanently! If you're not sure about the doctor's judgement, get a 2nd opinion - my midwife was wrong and my doctor was right!

mosschops30 Thu 08-Oct-09 15:14:13

Comma2, I am the same atm, have a hard round thing that stays up top by my ribs but is sometimes left and sometimes right.
I am getting kicks and jabs everywhere so cannot work out where the limbs are as they seem to move all the time.
MW swears she 'thinks' baby is head down, but I dont want to get to labour to find out its breech. I would rather know now and go for an early CS (so I can choose my anaesthetic team)

My first 2 were normal ceph so is it more likely this one will be too?

Jacksmamwahahaha Thu 08-Oct-09 15:38:02

Jackbaby's bum was permanently wedged under my left rib cage (he's now 20 months old and that side still hurts) and I could feel his feet kick me on the right but no legs in between - was a weird feeling.

Comma2 Thu 08-Oct-09 15:38:28

I think I felt a def little, uhm, crack? in the round thing...seems to suggest little bum all right, unless baby is horribly disfigured. Still don't know how she can poke it out like that!

I told my doc last time I thought she'd turned, and he said he was 150 000 percent sure the head was down. So I guess he was pretty convinced. Doesn't mean she can't have flipped, though.

Think am traumatized from fending off c sections last time....

bringonthetrumpets Thu 08-Oct-09 17:21:39

The bum seems to feel a bit more "pointy" iykwim. Just try to keep track of where you're feeling most of the kicks for a day and that will determine which side the legs are on. Sometimes they shift from left to right so you'll feel kicks on either side. How far along are you btw?

Comma2 Fri 09-Oct-09 01:05:18

36 plus, so getting there! The legs kick on the right middle, and above them is the round thing.
I looked at the spinning side (thank you!) and think my baby must be a bit of a contortionista.

Comma2 Fri 09-Oct-09 01:08:54

Jacksmam, I was in the hospital with really severe rib pain- I mean well beyond labour pain. They couldn't figure it out, but I am convinced the baby actually hurt my liver, which was just above the feet at the time and a bit swollen (and in the spot where the pain came from).

bringonthetrumpets Fri 09-Oct-09 04:27:40

Only a few more weeks to go! It sounds like your babe could be head down, based on where the kicks are.... can you feel around for the back at all? Does on side of your bump feel a bit harder than the other? I'm wondering if it's an oblique position....

bringonthetrumpets Fri 09-Oct-09 04:28:22

one side

Comma2 Fri 09-Oct-09 13:47:39

The left side is usually where I suspect the back going down. So head down (I hope), bum under the ribs, legs right....is that oblique? (and is that good or bad?)
The back is almost never straigt down the belly. Hmmm.

bringonthetrumpets Fri 09-Oct-09 15:15:30

The only reason I asked is because usually the back and the bum will be on the opposite side of where you are feeling the movement. In oblique positions the baby is sort of laying at a diagonal across your belly, which would put the bum and the legs on the same side. It's not bad.... maybe try some positions to try to get the baby to move into the right direction?

Try leaning over an exercise ball on the floor whilst watching TV, so that your belly is hanging down a little and you're on your knees on a pillow. (I found that super comfy at the end b/c my back was always killing me).

Or, get a kitchen chair and sit on it backwards so that you are leaning on the back part of the chair, whilst watching TV or eating dinner, etc.

There are the pelvic tilts that you can do on your hands and knees. All the positions use gravity to swing the baby into the right direction. Really look over the spinningbabies.com website. Gail Tully is one of my midwives and she helped to create the website so she's really knowledgeable in ways to help get the babe into the perfect position to help speed up labour.

HTH!

Comma2 Fri 09-Oct-09 15:29:40

Thanks very much Trumpets, I think you are perfectly right and will do as advised. I'll give the spinning site another look too. Do not necessatily want another 24 h labour if I can help it....

bringonthetrumpets Fri 09-Oct-09 16:41:34

Glad I could help Comma! I'm obsessed interested in midwifery and after the kiddies are a bit older, I'm definitely going to start my apprenticeship! Let us know how everything goes

Comma2 Fri 09-Oct-09 19:54:09

Will do. Have an app next Thursday and will ask doc what he thinks!

HAve fun with the apprenticeship!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now