Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early pregnancy scan stresses

(7 Posts)
peanutpie Wed 07-Oct-09 16:15:13

I've had 2 m/c followed by baby. I'm pregnant again. The stress of the first bit of pregnancy has come back. It's agony waiting for scans and symptons.

I had a scan last week. This scan was 6 weeks to the day that I had my first positive pregnancy test and 8 weeks after the first day of my last period. The first bit of the scan showed a 5 week gestational sac. This instantly made me believe it was all over. However when I had the vaginal scan it showed a flicker of a heartbeat and they put me at about 5/6 weeks??

The heartbeat is good, I think, but the dates don't seem to add up! Also I feel like my symptons were stronger at the start but less in the last 2 weeks or so.

Has anyone had anything this, whichever way it went. I'm going back next week for another scan. To be honest I am about 80% certain of a bad outcome and 20% of it being OK. I'm too frightened to be more positive.

My other m/c were at 8/9 weeks and when we went for the scan at 12 weeks.

peanutpie Wed 07-Oct-09 16:52:45

I am not concentrating properly! I had the scan 4 weeks after the positive pregnancy test and 6 weeks after I believed that I conceived.

I had really sore boobs in the first couple of weeks and had a bit of nausea. That's pretty much gone now. This follows the patterns of my miscarriages rather than when I was pregnant.

Prinpo Thu 08-Oct-09 00:33:25

Hello peanutpie, I'm sorry that I have no words of wisdom or experience to offer, but I wanted to respond to your post as I'm in a similar position. I had an early scan today at 6+4. They found a gestational sac which measured 5+something (didn't take it all in) but no yolk sac or heartbeat. I'm pretty sure of my dates so I'm also not feeling hopeful. They've taken bloods and will take more on Friday to measure HcG and then I'll be scanned again on 19th. I was told that it could be ectopic, could be mm, or could be everything is fine and just too early to pick anything up.

I also feel as though my symptoms have dropped off, which is a warning sign for me as the same thing happened earlier this year when I had a mc. I'm so sorry to hear that you've had 2 mc and that you're going through such a worrying time with this pregnancy. The waiting is absolutely horrible - when is your next scan? I hope that the time goes quickly for you. Let us know the outcome.

Comma2 Thu 08-Oct-09 07:38:11

Well, hard to say with the dates, its so early. But the heartbeat is good!I seem to remember that it is full early for that too, and that it often can't be detected until week 8 or so.

Do they check whether your hormones increase? If not, ask if they could do that.

daniwalkes Thu 08-Oct-09 07:42:01

Hi i just wanted to let you know what happened to me recently. I went for an early scan as i was havng a lot of pain and spotting, thinking i was around 5 weeks... when i got there they said that they couldn't see anything and there was no way i could be 5 weeks and they were 90% sure i had miscarried. i was asked if i wanted to let it take its course naturally or not and i said yes. I had a follow up scan 10 days later to make sure all had gone but when they did it they found a heartbeat and was dating 6+4 weeks! thank god i didn't decide to have a d&c!!!!!
i am now 9 weeks and so far all is good. give it time because at this early stage it is so easy to get it wrong when it comes to dates.
I was also told that becuase i have a retroverted uterus it can often hide the baby (check your notes as apparently its quite common)
I've got my fingers crossed for you!

thehuntress Thu 08-Oct-09 09:56:33

Hi

I had a scan at what I thought was 6 weeks but they could only see the sac and no heartbeat. I was pretty sure of my dates because conception could have only happened on one day IYKWIM. I was really worried. But I went back a week later, and they saw the heartbeat and my dates were spot on.

Also I wasn't having many symptoms at that point so was convinced that things didn't look good. I shouldn't have worried, because sickness kicked in at 7 weeks.

I'm now almost 15weeks pregnant

Hope that helps and hope things turn out well for you too.

peanutpie Fri 16-Oct-09 13:44:17

Thanks for your messages, I'm sorry I haven't replied before but I've felt a bit too mixed up.
I have had a truly horrible two weeks wait for my scan (which was today). I've been absolutely convinced that things were going wrong. I also started to bleed 2-3 days ago so it was no surprise to find out that there will be no new baby this morning at the scan. There had been very little growth since the last one and no heartbeat anymore.
I'm feeling truly pants! The only consolation is that at least I didn't believe it would turn out OK so it wasn't a shock. That, and the fact that this time I do already have a lovely little boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now