Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Barely feeling movement at 24 weeks

(14 Posts)
Messing Tue 06-Oct-09 17:07:42

As the title says, I can't feel any strong movements at all, and am now 24 weeks (with first child). Since about 20 weeks I have felt (very) mild flutters, and still get these but sometimes wonder if it's just indigestion as it's a similar kind of feeling.

Scans have all come back fine, I guess I am just disappointed and slightly concerned not to be feeling more at this stage...are some babies just less active than others? Do I just have a lazy child? LOL.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

bumpybecky Tue 06-Oct-09 17:09:15

is the placenta anterior? (at front wall of your body) it muffles lots of movement early on

ilovesprouts Tue 06-Oct-09 17:11:14

if you have any concerns,give your midwife a ring or your epau !

BikeRunSki Tue 06-Oct-09 17:13:25

Try drinking ice cold water. That always used to make DS wiggle. smile

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Tue 06-Oct-09 17:14:53

Some babies are quiet and move less. But you have to go with your gut instinct on this one and if you are worried get in touch with your midwife.

peppapighastakenovermylife Tue 06-Oct-09 17:49:14

Echo what others say about asking your MW if you are unsure.

However - DS was a real wriggler, big kicks from 18 weeks.

DD - virtually nothing until 25 weeks then very little at all throughout.

When they were born...

DS = whirlwind
DD = very chilled out baby!

fiziwizzle Wed 07-Oct-09 13:56:15

Hi MissIng I'm just the same and the placenta is anterior so I guess that's what's muffling the movements, as baby always seems very active on the scans. It's frustrating! But I'm sure it's nothing at all to worry about, and as baby gets bigger we'll feel more. Movement can be very sporadic until about 25-26 weeks anyway.

hannahsaunt Wed 07-Oct-09 14:15:35

Another one with an anterior placenta and muffled movements - was worrying me a bit as the others were all terribly active. This one is too when seen on scans but you can see where she is really kicking the placenta and it gives but takes a lot for it to translate into feeling above. HTH

Messing Wed 07-Oct-09 20:17:20

Thanks all for advice.

The anterior placenta thing sounds interesting - it could be that.

Thanks again, and let's hope we all feel proper kicks soon! (Although will prob regret saying that when I get a good thumping while trying to sleep...)

pollydianasmummy Wed 07-Oct-09 20:18:49

I didn't properly feel anymovement till about 24-25 weeks. My placenta was low

Concordia Wed 07-Oct-09 20:21:10

I worried as felt movement very early on with DS (15 weeks) but not until nearer 24 weeks (and then only light flutters) with DD. At 36 weeks someone said, oh, that's because you have an anterior placenta. I wish they had told me at the time. It woudl have saved a lot of worrying. If you are worried though, getting a check with a doppler might not bve a bad idea.

QueenofVenus Wed 07-Oct-09 21:05:37

Hiya MissIng, im 21 weeks with my 4th and i always felt movements at around 16/17 weeks but not this time, i too got a little concerned, i was feeling very slight and occasional movements but not as much as id like, then at 20 week scan i got told my placenta is anterior - explains ALOT. I know in a few weeks even that wont be enough to cushion the hardcore punching and kicking lol, but i can say this is the first time i have had this as far as i know and it does reduce sensation of movements ALOT!!! Dont worry too much, but if you do find yourself panicking or worrying, it doesnt hurt to go and get checked at the maternity home or see your midwife, they are really happy to put your mind at rest always! Hope this helps xx

happyfaceschildcare Fri 09-Oct-09 13:51:27

Hi, I'm same a peppapig, my first child, DD hardly moved at all throughout, this one which is a boy doesn't stop, if the scans came back fine, I'm sure you've just got a chilled out baby, but like everyone else says, if you are worried contact your midwife.
Good luck x

Abubu Fri 09-Oct-09 14:28:04

Hi,

My Mum once told me that when she was pregnant with me she didn't feel me move once! (Not sure how true this actually is).

But anyway I was fine of course, just very lazy I think. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now