Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Swine Flu - thinking of having the jab?

(5 Posts)
echops Tue 06-Oct-09 15:27:24

My doctor was talking to me last week about the possibility of being vacinated against Swine Flu. I just wondered what everyone's opinion of the jab is (I can't say I'm too keen - particularly as long term effects haven't been confirmed). If you've any views or have read more about it, I'd love to hear from you.

thedollshouse Tue 06-Oct-09 15:47:28

I'm pregnant and very worried about swine flu as I work with children and have a 5 year old. I think I have decided not to have the vacination due to the reaction I experienced when I had the ordinary flu jab 9 years ago.

After having the previous jab I developed a chest infection, at the time I didn't connect it with the jab then I had the worst bout of flu I have ever experienced, couldn't get out of bed, delerious, vomiting, and sinus infection

My chest infection didn't respond to antibiotics and I went on to have asthma, had a couple of full blown asthma attacks despite never having had asthma before. Eventually we found some antibiotics that worked and I got rid of my chest infection 9 months later. hmm

For the next 6 winters I have had serious chest infections and bronchitis. Last year was the first year that my chest was clear.

Of course I have no proof that it was the jab that caused this but I'm pretty convinced that it was.

Jayfer Tue 06-Oct-09 15:50:39

I've had the 'normal' flu jab for the past 9 years because of an ongoing illness. But my midwife has told me not to have either as the latest jab hasn't been tested and she said its not advisable to have any vaccine during pregnancy.

I am reluctant to have it as I have been on the receiving end of brand new drugs and their side effects before. Not good. But I suppose its personal choice.

Does the jab actually prevent it or does it reduce the effects? Does getting the flu attack the baby in any way?

lumpasmelly Thu 08-Oct-09 11:39:36

I just posted about this! My consultant refuses to let me have it....says its a live vaccine and shouldn't be used on pregnant women.....

sheeplikessleep Thu 08-Oct-09 12:13:23

I asked my MW about it, who was quite non-committal. When I said I was veering towards not having it, she then opened up and said "well it isn't tested and for that reason, if I was pregnant, I wouldn't have it either".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now