Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Question about fabric softners/washing powders/liquids

(9 Posts)
lucky1979 Tue 06-Oct-09 11:03:34

Despite being a grown adult who has washed her own clothes successfully for years, now I've got all these teeny tiny baby clothes to wash, I'm not sure what the best thing to use is. I've always just used whatever looked like it smelled nice and was least effort (liquitabs or gel mainly) and definitely 2 in 1 and clothes have always ended up fine, but now I have these tiny things I feel like I should be using a seperate fabric conditioner? Should I be using bio/non-bio? Or am I overthinking this?

I realise this is (yet another) daft question but don't want to use something that might cause the baby to have an allergic reaction or something.

babyOcho Tue 06-Oct-09 11:07:47

We switched to use Ecover non-bio when DD arrived and to begin with we washed her clothes separate from ours and without conditioner and extra rinsing!

Now she's older and her clothes are even more dirty than ours, her clothes are in with ours and we use conditioner (started using conditioner around 2 months).

MrsBadger Tue 06-Oct-09 11:30:21

you are overthinking

just use whatever you use for your own clothes

doing separate special baby washes is a waste of time and effort - much easier to chuck a couple of babygrows in with the normal wash.

NB as a general rule you shouldn't really use fabric conditioner, or even 2 in 1, on towels as it makes them less absorbent.

I do everything (our clothes, kids' clothes, DH's filthy sports kit, towels and nappies) in Persil non-bio because it's the only one DH can stand the smell of and I am buggered if I'm having more than one type in the house.

KnickersandVests Tue 06-Oct-09 11:34:24

Persil small and mighty non bio, all in together, your clothes aren't going to hurt the babies while they're in the machine, if you want a softener for the first few months probably best to use one thats suitable for sensitive skins like comfort pure.

HTH smile

sambo2 Tue 06-Oct-09 11:56:39

When my DS was born, he reacted to our regular washing powder and came up in rashes.

We binned the fabric conditioner (can irritate babies skin) and switched to Surcare (non-bio and gentle). Now all our washing is done with this so that adult/baby clothes can be washed together. I also add Napisan to every wash too!

MrsBadger Tue 06-Oct-09 11:58:06

hmm
why add napisan to every wash?

sambo2 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:21:24

Cos it works wonders at cleaning my DH's dirty shirts...!

MrsBadger Tue 06-Oct-09 12:29:36

aha now that I agree with - tis exactly the same stuff as Vanish Oxy ACtion but 1/3 the price grin

I was just checking it wasn't 'oh it's so I know my pfb's cute little bibs are sanitised and free from nasty germs'

lucky1979 Tue 06-Oct-09 14:48:01

Thanks everyone! Have popped it all in with our normal Ariel stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now