Talk

Advanced search

can i refuse to take any more methyldopa or bp medication ?

(15 Posts)
tink08 Tue 06-Oct-09 09:26:47

Hi i'm 33+ weeks and have been having raised bp since 27 ish weeks with this pregnancy . I was put on labetolol at 31 weeks and i had some nasty side effects so was switched to methyldopa within 3 days .
At my 32 week apt my consultant said it still was'nt low enough so upped the dose . I'm now on 250mg methyldopa 3 times a day !
Basically i feel like crap ! i';m contantly popping pills and got appointments every other day .
A bit of history tho i did develop preeclampsia in my first pregancy but did'nt start meds until 36 weeks and had emcs at 38 weeks .
Although my urine is clear my bp is still a bit all over the place .
I just feel sooooooooooooo fed up and gettin quite down and depressed . i've been in hospital 3 seperate times overnight to be monitored because of bp issues and had 2 growth scans to check babys size and placenta function and baby is 5.5lbs already and is well developed (lungs are good)
I suppose my point is can i refuse to take the methyldopa ?
if i do my bp will rocket .
Will they move my elcs forward ?
Will they refuse to treat me or something ?
I need a way out i'm crying as i type this post sad

JodieO Tue 06-Oct-09 09:39:49

You can refuse anything you don't want but it may have side effects on your pregnancy if your blood pressure isn't controlled. I had high bp and PE with my first pregnancy. I was due to be induced early but went into prem labour at 36 weeks. Even then she was 5lb 12 and a half but needed to stay in scbu for a week being tube fed and monitored as her suck was weak and she was grunting at birth.

You only have a few more weeks left really so I'd do what was best for the baby, obviously you matter too so do speak with your consultant about it. I know how you feel about all the appointments as I also had this and also with my next two pregnancies.

With ds2 my waters broke at about 21 weeks and I was in and out of hospital constantly, had every few day blood tests then weekly and weekly growth scans etc plus a lot of hospital stays and medication. It's difficult and time consuming but very worth it. Good luck.

JumpingJellyfish Tue 06-Oct-09 10:03:11

tink I would ask to talk all your thoughts over with a consultant asap.
Personally I would not risk stopping BP meds- there are good reasons why you're on them, both for your health and that of the baby. Methyldopa always made me feel pretty low for the first few weeks of taking them until my body adjusted, so part of what you are feeling could be a side effect. It's great you're past the 32 week mark though, and that LO is growing well- just try to focus on the fact that it won't be for that much longer. PE is very hard to predict so that could be why they won't talk about delivery yet- you could limp on like this for weeks or things could get more serious very quickly.

I really recommend the US Preeclampsia Foundation forums- lots of very experienced and helpful ladies there who can help hand hold through this- see www.preeclampsia.org/forum/default.asp

I've had PE twice- very severely and suddenly with DC1 resulting in emcs at 30wks, and more mildy with DC2 (resulting in emcs at 36 wks). Although both my LOs needed SCBU (8 weeks and 1 week respectively) and it was fairly horrendous at the time, they are both doing fine now- really healthy, normal development etc. It did however take a while for my BP to come down to normal after delivery and with my last I was on methydopa for 3 months following delivery, while they weaned me off it and my BP stabilised. PE is a horrible, unpredictable disease, and I really hope it doesn't become full blown for you- sending you lots of hugs and hoping that all the monitoring & meds lets you get a few more weeks on. Good luck xx

tink08 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:41:46

thanks for your replies i'm having a duvet day today and seeing my consultant 2moro for another bp series and monitoring so will try and mention it then without sounding like a hormonal depressive woman and crying all over the placegrin

reikizen Tue 06-Oct-09 12:47:42

I do sympathise, it is bloody awful to spend your pregnancy in and out of hospital. But pre-eclampsia can and does kill women and babies so don't stop taking your medication but do be frank with your consultant tomorrow. Write down your concerns when you are in a rational frame of mind and then if you do get upset tomorrow you will have it all prepared. Good luck!

throckenholt Tue 06-Oct-09 13:04:23

I had blood pressure concerns with mine as well. I know how you feel - but I think you have to try and hang in there for another few weeks - babies really are much better off inside and note being born until about 36-7 weeks. And the risks of things going wrong quickly with high blood pressure is scary.

Are you still at work ? Can you get signed off sick ? If you can get to a swimming pool maybe you can go each day - being water is supposed to help lower blood pressure and it takes some of the weight off you for a while.

rosieposey Tue 06-Oct-09 13:19:55

Hi Tink, You can refuse to take it but they will make you sign a medical disclaimer to say that you have refused treatment and are aware that you are putting both yours and your babys life in jeapordy - i had to sign one when i discharged myself whilst pregnant as i was always in hospital and it was Christmas and i was fine just had a bit of a stomach bug. I was on methyldopa too for the last 8 weeks or so of my pregnancy (ds is now 8 months) but i remember it made me feel terrible. I was in and out of the hospital so much, probably 3 or 4 times a week for monitoring and BP series. The medication made me feel so tired that i could barely function and i was so fed up that i didn't want to take it either but my consultant basically said that if i stopped taking it that my life and that of my son was in danger.

Am sorry you feel so rubbish and are so upset i do know how you feel - i asked if they would bring my elective forward too (because my placenta was deteriorating due to the diabetes) but they will only do that in an absolute emergency situation as babies born before 38 weeks often have respiratory difficulties. I remember crying my eyes out as they wouldn't let me have my cs at 37 instead of 38 weeks but i think its pretty much the same with most consultants. i was very closely monitored though and thats what it sounds like they are doing with you.

I really hope your BP stabilises, remember to try and relax, feet up and rest as much as you can, you will have your lovely baby before you know it. Good luck.

bruffin Tue 06-Oct-09 13:43:23

When DS was born 14 years ago I ended up staying in hospital from 32 weeks until he was born at 38 weeks, then a few days after making it 7 weeks in all. I was not given medication, but I not sure if it was available then. One girl's baby died due to pre eclampsia and another had kidney problems and ended up in a different hospital to her baby.

I know how fed up you must feel, but it is only a few weeks more, so just hang in there, it will be worth it in the long run.

VirginiaLoveGlove Tue 06-Oct-09 14:48:34

i agree with throckenholt that for many reasons a baby is better inside till 36-37 weeks. find other ways to be positive? I was given hydrotherapy to relieve SPD but also found it relieved the prenatal depression I didn't realise I was suffering till after starting it. It may be suffering high BP is affecting your mental health too? Just a thought about thinking sideways about the problems you are currently having.

cory Tue 06-Oct-09 23:13:40

Methyldopa is very depressing; I was on the maximum dose (is it 500 mg?) for 6 years so I know it well. But having said that, I have listened to another woman's account of eclamptic fits- and I think being zombified by bp drugs sounds preferable to that. Not to mention the risk to the baby.

Hang in there- it won't be forever and hopefully you will recover quickly.

MiniLlace Wed 07-Oct-09 11:13:13

Hi there - Im on 2 tabs of 250mg a day also with BP now boarderline and trace to + proteins ... also spending an afternoon in hospital twice a week for monitoring. I agree its frustrating - but best thing is to make the most of a bad job - Im using it as downtime away from work and a great excuse to read some trashy mags and chill out ... what gets me through is knowing its only temporary (as they are inducing me at 37 weeks). Its perhaps not the birth/pregnancy experience I was wanting - but really the health of my DD and myself is key and for me if that means taking some drugs for a few months to keep her in there as long as possible - that is what i will do ... it may not be easy but Ive found trying to see the positive and just going with the flow has really helped me out - good luck!!

tink08 Wed 07-Oct-09 12:54:26

thanks for all your responses , i think if they would give me a date for induction or section then i could see a light at the end of the tunnel but as yet they wont .
I'm seeing consultant later on this afternoon so will try and get something sorted .

JumpingJellyfish Thu 08-Oct-09 09:47:00

Tink how did you get on with the consultant? Mine won't give me a date for cs as they feel once signs of PIH or PE present it's very hard to predict how things will develop and whether they'd have to risk early (pre-37 wk) delivery. My consultant would always aim for 38 weeks for a elcs but she also considers that the serious risks that come from premature birth are much less from 36 weeks- with my DD she was delivered then as my BP kept rising in spite of meds so it was decided a few days before that enough was enough and it was time to get her out and allow my BP to start to stabilise. They have to be sure the high BP or PE is posing a great enough risk to either you or your baby's health to consider early delivery as it's hard to balance the decision against the risks to the baby of premature birth. In other words I'd be surprised if they'll give you a date so to speak but you never know- I really hope you could discuss all the various scenarios through though and you feel a bit better.

Good luck xx

tink08 Thu 08-Oct-09 11:42:12

hi all , consultant wont give me a date for elcs suprise suprise sad
So just gotta keep plodding x x

reikizen Thu 08-Oct-09 14:06:25

I'm not surprised. The mantra they follow is delivery on the best day in the best way, so that's what they will be basing decisions on. They are weighing up baby's health and yours which is what makes obstetrics a bloody hard job at times! Unless you become seriously ill or baby shows signs of compromise they won't look to deliver you until after 36 weeks I suspect. Good luck and I hope you felt like you got it off your chest with the consultant today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now