Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anxious about triple test tomorrow,

(17 Posts)
messylittlemonkey Tue 06-Oct-09 09:21:50

Hi there

Hope you don't mind me wittering about this!

I've just turned 35 and am 15+3 with my second child. My daughter is almost four.

We had a few minor problems getting pg this time (had a couple of early mcs) but have had no problems with this pg and all was well at 12 week scan.

Trouble is I just feel so anxious this time around, worrying about everything, whereas first time I didn't think twice about most of it!

I'm booked for the triple test tomorrow and I've got myself really worried about the possibility off a high risk result. With my first child, we were given hardly any info about the triple test, had it done, didn't worry about it and it came back low risk. This time, we live in a different city, and the hospital have a designated screening co-ordinator who gives loads of info about the various tests. When we met with her after our 12 week scan, she explained about the triple test, but when on to point out that if it comes back high risk, then we would have to consider having an amnioscentesis etc...

I'm obviously jumping the gun here, but I can't help but worry about what we would do if it does come back as high risk. Both my DP and I agree that we should have the test as neither of us feel that we could bring up a Down's baby (my partner does charity work with a Mencap charity so knows what people go through). I suppose what's concerning me is the idea that a high risk triple test would lead to an amnioscentesis with the associated risk of mc.

Sorry this is such a ramble, I am a born worrier and pregnancy seems to have made it worse!

I would welcome other people's thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance
MLM

piggybank Tue 06-Oct-09 11:35:26

Oh I do feel for you! I really hope everything goes well tomorrow.

I don't know very much about the triple test but just wanted to say to please try not to worry yourself sick!!

Good luck

messylittlemonkey Tue 06-Oct-09 11:48:24

Thanks, I will try to chill out.

Think the worst part is the waiting for the results in the following days!

MLM

HappyBump Tue 06-Oct-09 12:03:01

Hi MLM

I really feel for you. I am also pregnant with my second successful <fingers crossed emoticon> pregnancy after to mc's (most recently a MMC in March at 13 weeks). I am 37, so positively ancient when it comes to doing all these tests! hmm

I found that I was really worried at the beginning of the pregnancy right up to the 20 week scan. I am currently 24 weeks (well will be tomorrow). Each milestone has been important to me and I have to say the worry has lessened as time has gone on. I cried after my 12 week scan when we heard everything was okay ... my DH thought I was a complete loon. We actually decided not to have the triple test this time around as the nuchal fold measurement seemed okay and relatively low-risk - not that we really understand it all.

There is a thread on pregnancy after miscarriage where people will really understand what you are going through.

I just wanted to say that you aren't alone in your worries. All perfectly normal as far as I am concerned. Take each test/day one at a time and take care of yourself.

messylittlemonkey Tue 06-Oct-09 12:07:17

Thanks, Happybump!

Glad I'm not the only one. I so want to enjoy this pg as we don't plan on any more, but can't seem to stop stressing.

I'm glad things are going well for you. I sometimes wonder if the anxiety this time around is due to the previous mcs making this pg seem more precarious or something.

Goodness only knows!

MLM

reikizen Tue 06-Oct-09 12:14:31

I can understand your worry, and these screening tests seemed designed to make women not enjoy their pregnancies! They can only tell you what you already know, that your child has a chance of being born with an abnormality, they are not diagnostic. Even if the risk comes back 'high' it may not actually be relevant to you. And if it comes back as 1:250,000 you could be that one. I had a 1:95 risk for Downs in my second pregnancy so had an amnio to find out for sure. Baby was fine but we spent the rest of the pregnancy worrying that there was something else wrong.
I suppose if you do go ahead with the test you should ask yourself what you will do with the information. It doesn't sound as if you would contemplate a termination so is it just to prepare yourself? Or would you be happier during pregnancy if you didn't have the test?

messylittlemonkey Tue 06-Oct-09 16:15:34

Thanks for the advice.

The thing is, we would contemplate a termination if we discovered that our baby had Down's or similar. My partner has experience of working with mentally and physically handicapped people and we both agree that we don't think we could go down that road personally.

My worry for the triple test is that if it is high risk, we will then have to decide wether to go for the amniosentesis which of course has the miscarriage risk. I know that the triple test is only a screen and not a daignostic test and even a low risk result is not a guarantee. I think I've just got myself worked up (as is my wont!).

I will go ahead with the test tomorrow and await the outcome as I feel that to not have the test would not make me worry any less!

thanks again

MLM

reikizen Thu 08-Oct-09 14:11:39

If it makes you feel better the amnio was very pain and stress free for me. They do it under direction of ultrasound so they can be sure to choose a large pool of amniotic fluid and the miscarriage risk is about 1% so very low indeed. If you do have one make sure the consultant is well practised as this makes a difference to miscarriage rates. In light of your feelings re: termination I think it is wise to have the test because you would actually act on the findings. It is a horrendous worry I know, but as a parent you do face worry and bloody awful decisions on a regular basis I've found! (It's lovely too of course wink)

messylittlemonkey Fri 09-Oct-09 16:28:16

Thanks for the messages everyone.

I had the blood taken on Weds (now Fri) and asked mw when I would hear back and she said I could expect a call on Monday if high risk, if not then a letter in the post.

Obviously I'm now fretting like an idiot and will no doubt be a mess on Monday waiting for my phone to ring.

The things I've read about the amnio are encouraging and I'm sure that's what we would do if necessary, so at least I'm informed in advance.

MLM

Neeko Sat 10-Oct-09 09:19:03

I also had the triple test on Wed and am very nervous about the results.I have one DD and had a MMC in March so a nervous wreck anyway. I've been told I'll hear by phone within ten days if it's high risk and by letter in 2 weeks if it's low. We're going to decide what to do next once we've heard.

Good luck for Monday.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 10-Oct-09 09:20:15

you may wish to post this in ante natal choices....

messylittlemonkey Tue 13-Oct-09 16:39:41

Hello

Just thought I'd update this thread.

Had Triple test last Weds (7 oct) and mw said she would ring on Monday (yesterday) if high risk.

I spent the entire day willing the phone not to ring and it didn't.

I even got my low risk letter this morning. I have a 1 in 2200 risk (was 1 in 5000 with my first DD but I'm 4 years older now and just turned 35).

I'm so relieved. it just means that although there is still a chance of having a Down's baby, I don't feel as though I need to make any awful decisions about further testing.

Thanks for all your support anyway. I'll have to find something else to stress about now!

MLM

Neeko Tue 13-Oct-09 20:33:09

Great news Messylittlemonkey Hope my results are as good as yours. smile

Neeko Sat 17-Oct-09 11:56:05

just to update, my results came back low risk too - phew!

HelishAngel Sat 17-Oct-09 20:47:32

So glad for you MLM and Neeko that you had favourable screening results. I was very much feeling like yourself MLM and stressed out to the max before I received mine...1/3500 which is good at my ahem advanced maternal age lol, 39. Here's to a more relaxed pregnancy from now on All the best!!!

Neeko Sun 18-Oct-09 09:30:46

Thanks. Glad to hear that your results came back good too smile

Toady Sun 18-Oct-09 09:50:24

Hi just popping in to say glad your results went well, I had mine done on Wednesday, nuchal was low 1.6mm, but still waiting for bloods, horrible isn't it.

So you have a 2199 in 2200 chance this baby is fine, sounds much better when you say it like that doesn't it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now