Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

agonising back pain days after c-sec

(11 Posts)
LondonNinja Tue 06-Oct-09 04:12:33

Hi all, please help! I had a c-sec on Weds (have a stunning little baby girl now smile...

Anyway, since the delivery, my back (upper-mid) has hurt like hell. Earlier, it felt like I was being stabbed and I almost thought of calling for an ambulance. What on earth is going on? I take codeine with paracetamol but it didn't stop me screaming in pain. I'm scared to go back to bed to lie down now sad.

It was an elective semi-emergency CS as I had obstetric cholestasis BTW. I came home on Saturday.

thumbscrewwitch Tue 06-Oct-09 04:57:03

perhaps you have a gallstone see here - have you phoned NHS direct? If not, do so.

thumbscrewwitch Tue 06-Oct-09 04:57:48

congrats on the DD, btw!

differentnameforthis Tue 06-Oct-09 04:57:56

I would call the hospital labour ward. Did you have an epidural/spinal or ga?

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 06:50:42

Yes definitely do call them. This isn't normal i don't think.

Hope you can find out what it causing it and get some relief sad

Geepers Tue 06-Oct-09 06:51:15

could be a stomach ulcer. I had one after my daughter was born and it presented very much as you are describing. More likely as well if you have been on lots of painkillers.

CarmenSanDiego Tue 06-Oct-09 06:55:15

That's odd. Could it be a complication from the epidural? (Although I'd think that would present lower) Sounds worth getting checked out if the pain is that bad though.

Congratulations on your baby!

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 07:02:41

here and a few other hits on google

CarmenSanDiego Tue 06-Oct-09 07:10:28

I had horrible back pain after a c-section too but I was convinced it was the bloody awful hospital bed and that was the number one reason I checked myself out asap. It was a dull ache though - not the stabbing pain op describes which sounds horrible.

thumbscrewwitch Tue 06-Oct-09 11:36:39

hope you got somewhere with this - did you phone someone/see someone today?

JemL Tue 06-Oct-09 12:48:25

I had bad back and hip pain after a c-section - was referred to a physiotherapist, and it was muscular pain, the result of having been put in an awkward position while I was numb from the anaesthetic. THe pain was often sharp and stabbing, and I couldn't walk properly for weeks.

I would definitely see someone as soon as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now