Talk

Advanced search

Iron tablets received today- how long til I feel better?

(7 Posts)
singalongamumum Mon 05-Oct-09 19:25:21

that's it really- I am about 28 weeks and really want to feel more energetic soon! Should I expect an immediate improvement?

belgo Mon 05-Oct-09 19:29:30

Make sure you take them on an empty stomach with orange juice for best absorption. Don't take them with tea coffee or milk. Eat plenty of foods rich in vitamin C. In my experience, I felt better within a week.

frogthistle Mon 05-Oct-09 19:52:35

But something to think about, if you get the dreaded side effect of constipation, have a look at Spatone and/or Floradix in Boots or similar. They are natural sources of iron (you pee out what you don't need) & no side effects.

I started them daily this time, along with the vitamins & folic acid. Yup, about a week to feel better.

laurawantsababy Mon 05-Oct-09 20:00:19

Hi, just a question for you! What iron tablets have you got?

I was taking Floradix which is a natural syrup with iron in but I cant stand the taste! I would prefer tablets.

Thanks smile

AngelDog Tue 06-Oct-09 06:43:39

I had low iron levels after a miscarriage last time, and before I got pregnant last time. The result was exhaustion and depression. Within 2 weeks of starting on iron tablets I was a completely different person - so it must have taken less than that for things to start improving. It did take a good while to feel completely 'normal' again, though.

To echo belgo, don't have tea or coffee within an hour of taking the tablets or they will hinder the absorption.

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 07:08:12

I couldn't stand the tablets - upset stomach etc - so took spatone and it worked REALLY quickly. Tastes fine in orange juice smile

I take it now sometimes too. 3 for 2 in Boots if you're lucky! And no side effects - much more natural so easily absorbed iyswim.

singalongamumum Tue 06-Oct-09 08:27:44

thanks everyone- I reckon I can cope with one more week.

The tablets are plain old ferrous fumerate (on prescription). That said, I will bear in mind the spatone recommendation if I have trouble.

Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now