Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Symptoms disappeared - worried about missed miscarriage

(8 Posts)
Prinpo Mon 05-Oct-09 10:20:33

Hello everyone,

I'm 6+2 with DC3. I had a miscarriage earlier in the year so I'm particularly jittery this time around! Anyway, I had all the normal symptoms when I first found out. I had a little bleed but was reassured that that was implantation bleeding as it was short-lived. My concern now is that my symptoms have all but gone. I've had no further bleeding and no cramping but I just don't 'feel' pregnant anymore. God, I know that sounds stupid but I felt the same with my last pregnancy and then went on to miscarry.

I have a scan on Wednesday because of the early bleed so I just need to wait until then but in the meantime I wondered whether anyone else had also experienced their symptoms just disappearing and what the outcome was? (I think I'm just looking for reassurance / clutching at straws.) I know I just need to wait until Wednesday but it seems a long time away...

All help much appreciated.

alana39 Mon 05-Oct-09 10:31:04

Hi Prinpo I had a mmc last year and at the beginning of this pg was a bit like you. Initially I knew I was pregnant before doing the test because of symptoms, which then rapidly disappeared and I assumed the worst. About 2 weeks later symptoms were back with a vengeance and I was throwing up everywhere. Anyway, it isn't the same pregnancy so won't necessarily have the same outcome - fwiw I had similar starts to my 1st 2 successful pgs as well so I would say fluctuating symptoms are normal for some people. Good luck.

katnkittens Mon 05-Oct-09 10:40:30

At 6 weeks or so my symptoms weren't that bad at all, I only had sore boobs and I even had to keep checking them to make sure!

Now I'm 8+2 and wishing I hadn't worried so much as I can barely get off the sofa for feeling sick...

Also I knew I was pregnant very early as I had awful indigestion which disappeared about 5 1/2 weeks. So I guess my symptoms definitely went and came back.

Plus I had some spotting last week but a scan showed that everything is fine

Good luck!

Prinpo Wed 07-Oct-09 18:42:56

Thanks, ladies. I went for the scan today (horrible, insensitive doctor, but that's another story) and they found a gestational sac but no yolk sac or heartbeat so I'm feeling pretty lousy and unhopeful about it. I was told that it may simply be too early to see anything, which obviously is the best outcome, it may be a miscarriage or it may be an ectopic pregnancy (although I have no symptoms). I had bloods taken and will have more taken on Friday to assess HcG levels and then I'll have another scan on 19th.

Any similar experiences or words of wisdom (or even tips on how to wait patiently) greatly appreciated.

hobbgoblin Wed 07-Oct-09 18:51:06

I had two missed miscarriages in succession and I knew the second time. I think you do, intuitively. I told the sonographer at my 12 week scan to not bother doing my bloods first as I doubted the baby was still alive. I was right.

My last pregnancy (DD now 10 weeks) I had a decrease in symptoms early on after first wave of morning sickness and then they returned. I must say, on that occasion, although I was concerned about symptoms disappearing I didn't feel like the pregnancy had ended whereas with the MM I did.

There were additonal factors in my last pregnancy but what I'm trying to say is I believe in the possibility that we can 'know' instinctively, it just depends how tuned into ourselves we are and how much fear stops that intuitiveness.

Worrying also helps you prepare emotionally for bad news, so whilst I'd advise not worrying yourself silly about this, it is no bad thing to fret a little until you have news to confirm either way. I hope that doesn't sound insensitive.

Best wishes.

Prinpo Wed 07-Oct-09 18:57:26

Thanks, hobbgoblin, that's really useful advice. There's nothing worse than being told not to worry and I think you're absolutely right that an 'appropriate' level of worrying can help to prepare yourself for the worst.

hobbgoblin Wed 07-Oct-09 19:47:28

You're welcome I do hope you get more promising news over the next visits. If not though, don't give up hope. I was very shocked to have 2 MM one after the other. Seemed like it would never happen. (Although this was not first pregnancy, I already had DC) But, as you know, the next time I successfully carried my baby to term (3 weeks over, little minx!)

Have you had any MC before the previous MM?

I know that it can really shake you if you have not previously had problems and then to be hit with 2 (possibly) MC. My problems occurred after DC3 with no history beforehand.

Prinpo Thu 08-Oct-09 00:23:51

MC earlier in year was my first, after 2 successful pregnancies. However, those pregnancies were not trouble-free (pre-eclampsia with first, second one had kidney trouble and was in NICU for a few days after birth, both were breech, etc., etc.). Also, I'm a bit of a pessimist by nature blush so I've always been really aware of what can go wrong.

I think that what has made it worse today is how insensitive the doctor was. I don't particularly want tea and sympathy but he just rattled off a list of possibilities while I was still lying there feeling a bit teary, gave no explanation and then just expected me to pull my knickers up and get out of there. (Needless to say, I didn't. Well, I did pull my knickers up smile but then told him I wanted him to repeat it all now that I had my clothes on and was upright!)

Anyway, thanks for good advice. So sorry to hear about your two MM - that must have been an enormous blow. I'm glad you had a good pregnancy afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now