Advanced search

3rd degree tear with number 1 what happened with number 2? Please share :)

(23 Posts)
mummyofthomas Sun 04-Oct-09 00:36:12

Just wondered what peoples experiences were with their second time giving birth after having a third dergree tear first time around?

alwayslookingforanswers Sun 04-Oct-09 00:38:15

I have an episiotomy and a 4th degree tear with DS2.

DS3 I had a couple of small stiches and that was it.

petetong Sun 04-Oct-09 00:49:32

Episiotomy with dd, absolute agony. 18 months later split from back to front with ds, no pain though, walking round tescos the next day. GP was amazed.

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 04-Oct-09 08:58:12

Not quite a 3rd degree tear but big episiotomy which tore further - lots of pain for months. DS was 7.7 lbs.

Two years later DD was born nearly 9 pounds, and didnt tuck her head properly so widest part came down first. No tears whatsoever. I usd a birth pool and had a great midwife who guided her out.

napa Sun 04-Oct-09 10:45:46

very interested to read people's experience as i had 3rd degree with DD and now looking towards type of delivery for next DC. The research seems to say that if you have no sypmtoms then there is no reason to have a cs next time but my consultant did say at the time that i should go for cs next time.
Not sure what to do cos of the extra recovery time after cs.

petetong Sun 04-Oct-09 11:14:32

I was offered a cs with my ds but declined as my dd would only have been 17 months and still needed lifting out of cot, into car seat etc. I was induced as they were both big babies and I was aware that if things had gone wrong with ds I would have started shouting a lot earlier. Good luck with your birth, I'm sure you will make the decision that is right for you.

FlamingoBingo Sun 04-Oct-09 11:17:39

1st birth - 3rd degree tear stitched under spinal

2nd birth - 2nd degree tear stitched at home under local

3rd birth - graze

4th birth - 1st degree tear left unstitched

No complications. smile

ps. All home waterbirths

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sun 04-Oct-09 11:20:10

Not my experience...but my friend had a 3rd degree tear with DC1. She went on to have 3 more DC's all delivered by CS. This was her choice I think. She didn't want to cause anymore trauma.

pigleychez Sun 04-Oct-09 12:34:03

Mummyofthomas- Im in the same boat. Had an episiotomy and 3rd degree tear with DD.
Now thinking about DC2's birth and what will happen.

The surgeon was saying alot of things to me whilst i was being stitched up but to be honest not alot when in! I was too busy being sick for an hour after the birth and any thoughts of another were the last thing on my mind.

Same as Petetong.... Would prefer not to have a section as DD will only be 22mths, But then another friend in the same previous experience was told c-section or risk double incontience! shock

SoupDragon Sun 04-Oct-09 12:36:02

DS1 - 3rd degree tear
DS2 - Episiotomy when scar line began to "button hole"
DD - home waterbirth with 2nd degree tear.

I had an ultrasound after DS1 to check the quality of the repair and was given the green light to have future children vaginally.

juuule Sun 04-Oct-09 12:37:51

1. episiotomy and 3rd degree tear.
2. episiotomy and 4 stitches.
3. Nothing.
4. One stitch as a precaution?
Next 5 no problems at all.

pigleychez Sun 04-Oct-09 12:52:39

Juuule-Next 5!?!

juuule Sun 04-Oct-09 13:08:57

I'm greedywink

mummyofthomas Mon 05-Oct-09 20:04:24

wow juuule next 5!!!!
thanks all for your messages. am just a little confused because at the time it was said about me having a cs next time and a few midwives/health visitor have said it recently too. But when I talk to my personal midwife she says there is no need at all for a cs. I have a 13 month old so would be concerned about recovery times and the risks of cs but not sure if I can face the risks/pain/ongoing recovery of a third degree either! what would you do?

biggernow Mon 05-Oct-09 20:20:32

mummyofthomas- hello- i am in same boat- had 3rd degree tear with DS 2 years ago- DC2 due in 6 weeks. Have been told I don't NEED a c-section, which I would like to avoid for a zillion reasons- so am going to try and do things naturally - and have booked a doula to support me and DH through it.

OB said they would advise an episiotomy but I have heard worst stories in episiotomies so think I am going to try and slow things down and be better 'managed' this time- i pushed way too hard with no breaks.

That said, I am of course open to everything and just want best for my baby- and for me a natural delivery is best for baby- but obviously not everything will necessarily follow any plans............

I am REALLY scared this time round (not just tearing, just the whole thing) but know I healed well from 3rd degree tear (had good stiches done which helped) It wasn't ideal of course- but I had an easier time that the 3 people I know that had c-sections.......

Hope I make some sense................

Cooch Tue 06-Oct-09 15:06:17

Hi, I had a third degree tear the first time and was really scared of it happening again 2nd time round because of the recovery time etc, they reassured me should I need an episiotomy they would cut across rather than down or something so it wouldn't be on old scar area, they said quite unlikely to happen again and it didn't, just needed normal stitches. I actually wanted a cs but they discouraged me! Took me so long to recover from 3rd degree tear thought a cs wouldn't be much worse!

Disembodied3 Tue 06-Oct-09 15:09:01

DS1 - tore with stitches (9lb baby tho)

ds2 - internal graze

DD - nothing.

Tombliboobs Tue 06-Oct-09 15:15:11

Had friend who had a 3rd degree tear 1st time, lots of talk about possible CS throughout the pregancy from the docs. They (finally) decided to go for a natural birth, she had no tears and was fine.

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 15:19:52

DD1 Episotomy, masses of stitches 8lbs hospital birth

DD2 slight tear, no stitches Home Birth 8lb7
DS Nothing 9lb4

Momdeguerre Tue 06-Oct-09 17:33:59

Really interesting post - I had a 3rd degree tear following an epistiotomy with DS. He was a good size at 9lbs and I am really worried that DC2 (due in April) will cause further probs.

Quite reassuring to see lots of people have gone on to have less issues - my consultant discussed a CS with me but I am very keen to avoid - DS is only 14 months - but he was clear that it was an option and not an obligation.

Flo23 Tue 06-Oct-09 17:38:45

Had 3rd degree tear with DS1(11 lb 3).

Elective CS with DS2(9 lb 2). Found elective CS much easier to recover from, obviously everyone is different though.

Highly likely to have another CS this Dec!

mummyofthomas Tue 06-Oct-09 20:28:26

hi again, oh biggernow I so know what you mean about being REALLY scared, I think I feel worse this time than being a first timer, I feel the same as you,would really like to avoid cs. With my son it was induced labour ,came on within about 15 mins and had an epidural asap,they wanted to give me an episiotomy and use a ventouse which made me push like crazy and think he just came out too quick not really controlled at all even though I had a really great epidural and could still feel to push, he was 8lbs 110z too so pretty big. Congratulations and I really hope all goes well for you

mummyofthomas Tue 06-Oct-09 20:35:03

momdeguerre- hi and congrats on DC2. I am in same boat as you, recovering from third degree tear with a newborn was hard enough but with a newborn and 18 month old would just be hell grinbut would recovery from a cs be much better? i just don't know!. Haven't seen my consultant yet and won't till 35+ weeks but like you a hope to avoid a cs. goodluck with the pregnancy and birth

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: