Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is it safe to have a dental filling in the first trimester?

(7 Posts)
LJAM Sat 03-Oct-09 20:08:42

i am only 6.5 weeks pregnant and i have a tooth ache. pretty sure i'll need a filling. is it safe to have one? i guess it means local anaesthetic and maybe an xray...?

PennyScotia Sat 03-Oct-09 22:32:29

I went for a check up when I was 14 weeks and was told that they would only do work if it was absolutely necessary. They were going to do a routine x-ray but will now do it after I have the baby. It's probably best to tell your dentist right away - if they're like mine, they'll even give you the consultation for free smile

lilysam Sun 04-Oct-09 09:24:45

I need a filing but the dentist put it off until i was over 12 weeks (having it on friday -if i can get a babysitter!!).

She said beforehand 12 weeks she wouldn't be keen to use the injections so it was safer to wait.

Tomatefarcie Sun 04-Oct-09 09:54:08

I would definitely not get a mercury filling. A ceramic one, yes, but defo not mercury (amalgam).

The dentist should advise you about pain relief too.

LJAM Sun 04-Oct-09 12:47:05

Thanks all. will see what dentist says.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Sun 04-Oct-09 12:55:57

I had one at around 8 weeks, but it was only small and the dentist didn't need to use an anaesthetic. The x-ray had been done when I wasn't pregnant - it took me over 3 months to get it done blush

Mama2b5 Sun 04-Oct-09 20:03:28

i had 2 extractions and then 2 white fillings whilst pregnant and i thought wow this hurts but no way near child birth so i can do this!
With the extractions my whole mouth was numb and i had stiches!last friday had 2 lil white fillings at front of mouth cant notice so worth the numb nose!!!my dentist is a female and she is aware so just doing the small stuff- SMALL she said so leaving the big switch over from silver to white after baby so that will be in Jan! i found myself praying saying its shame i couldnt get all pain in one go so child birth and my filling done grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now