Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Achy hips at night

(24 Posts)
1mum1 Sat 03-Oct-09 11:33:23

Have been getting very achy hips (am wk 31) at night and have to change sides every half hour to let the other side take over!

Just wondered if anyone has suffered with this and found some relief from it with pillows or something?

Thanks

l39 Sat 03-Oct-09 11:41:34

Yes to both. I had a lot of hip and knee pain at night, and it's been a lot better since I bought 2 huge squashy pillows longer than I am tall and packed them round me at night. It makes turning over a lot of trouble, but it's still worth it. I'm 38 weeks now.

1mum1 Sat 03-Oct-09 11:53:48

Brilliant - thanks I39. Can you recommend a brand at all? Great to know its possible to get some relief!

maybebaby23 Sat 03-Oct-09 12:14:07

I have been getting this too! It seems to be my right hip and turning onto my right side in the night is agony!! I don't know why because it doesn't hurt during the day..hope the pillow thing works.

mosschops30 Sat 03-Oct-09 12:17:49

Could be SPD related, I have a lot of hip and groin pain at night, am seeing Osteopath now and am virtually pain free smile.

Like 139 I found using pillows either around me or between my knees disturbed my sleep too much, everytime I turned over I would wake, much better now sleeping without anything

1mum1 Sat 03-Oct-09 12:47:00

Hope yours eases soon maybebaby - mine is usually fine in the day but today it's just stayed with me for some reason.

Thanks mosschops for your reply - whats spd though? Not up on all the abbreviations as yet. Glad you are now virtually pain free.

mosschops30 Sat 03-Oct-09 12:48:55

symphisis pubis dysfunction (sp?) I have had it in my 2nd pregnancy and again in this one, it was very painful in my groin, hips and lower back but now pretty good thanks to someone on here recommending an osteopath.

1mum1 Sat 03-Oct-09 12:56:01

That sounds very painful - especially in the 3 areas. Great that you now have the osteopath - I'll have to see how mine develops and keep my fingers crossed. I never know whether or not to do more exercise to keep strengthening my muscles or try to rest. To think I was walking 25 miles a week in Feb - I feel like a different person now!

maybebaby23 Sat 03-Oct-09 16:07:16

Thanks 1mum1, i think i jinxed it earlier by saying it doesn't hurt in the day...it's been hurting ever since i posted!! Im going to try again with the pillows tonight, see if i can ease it a little. Sorry to hear you are struggling as well today!

Tiaxx31 Sat 03-Oct-09 16:34:16

I am 31 weeks and i have to turn over every half hour to a hour as my hips are killing me on the side i'm laying and i also have to get up to pee every hour - 2 hours. I have a pillow between my knees and under bump but it is a night mare when having to turn, i always pull on the side the bed to help me up or push on my partner,lol. Never said anything as he knows i have terrible trouble sleeping and moving. Only fair they are some use as he also put baby there,lol
Can't wait to have my body back though

browntrout Sat 03-Oct-09 16:52:53

my hips ache quite a lot at night (am 35 weeks) but I have one of those full length pillows which I put between my legs and, usually by the morning, I am feeling largely ok again. I had SPD (undiagnosed) last time and ended up completely unable to walk. I have tried to keep an eye on it this time and, so far, it's a little easier. Ive just finished work to try and ease the last few weeks. I can recommend the pillow technique - mine was from Mothercare. Good luck.

1mum1 Sun 04-Oct-09 22:45:28

Tried some pillow combinations last night but still just as bad! Put a pillow between my knees, a small one under the bump and then hugged my boomerang piilow but still got no sleep and was changing sides every half hour!
Must look into a really proper technique with maybe a large pillow(thanks browntrout).

Should I put a pillow actually under my hip I wonder?

How are you getting on Maybebaby23 and Tiaxx31?

1mum1 Mon 05-Oct-09 10:20:28

I've found some relief from this last night. One small pillow under bump and a regular pillow tucked in around lower back and down under hip at the back. Hope this helps someone!

ErikaMaye Mon 05-Oct-09 10:58:31

This pillow has been a God send, and this one has been the reason I've managed any sleep at all. I also use them during the day if I'm sitting / laying on the sofa.

A pillow between the knees, and putting a spare duvet under the sheet to give you some extra comfort and support, too.

Hope that helps!!

mumsiebumsie Mon 05-Oct-09 11:30:03

1mum1 I totally sympathise. I'm 32 weeks and turn every half hour at night due to achy hips. It's really disrupting my sleep. I've tried the pillow thing but I end up losing it at the end of the bed or it falls on the floor. The last time I tried it I lost the pillow in the middle of the night. I looked for it and the cat was sleeping on it! Couldn't take if off her as she looked so comfy! And was just too tired and frustrated to get up and find another one.

But glad you've found some relief now

raggie Mon 05-Oct-09 15:11:03

I have a spare duvet folded in half under me for some extra-cushioning. Someone on here recommended it and it has made a difference in that still a nightmare to turn but much more comfortable on hips - I've really noticed when I've been away for the night and had to sleep in a 'non-insulated' version bed!

maybebaby23 Mon 05-Oct-09 17:18:06

Ooohh im going to try the spare duvet underneath!! Thanks for that! My knee has started now! My right hip and right knee were so painful last night But thankfully they have been fine today. I did laugh at the poster who said she pulls on her partner when trying to turn over! I have started doing that too lol blush he just groans and rolls over lol.

Glad to hear you found something that helps 1mum1. I have been using one pillow under bump and one behind, it has eased it a little. Hope everyone has a more comfortable night tonight!

1mum1 Wed 07-Oct-09 21:57:36

Hi again fellow achy hips at night sufferers!

I seem to have found a good technique now with the regular pillow tucked in at the back under hip and lower back and last night I took out the small pillow under the bump and this helped too. I'm still achy now and again but it's certainly helped. So it's worth playing around with different pillows and positions for them. Hope you all have a good nights kip tonight!

x

maybebaby23 Thu 08-Oct-09 20:18:09

I have done the same 1mum1, but i keep waking up to find that they have moved or fallen off the bed! I had a rubbish night last night, i think i must toss and turn so much in the night because i wake up every time i feel that pain when i turn to my right..about 15 times per night lol!

Ah well will try again tonight, early night for me. Hope you all have a comfortable sleep tonight

1mum1 Mon 12-Oct-09 17:30:06

Have tried the lying on top of a whole other duvet and this has helped somewhat so thanks for the tip girls! Still tossing and turning every half hour but pain has eased a bit at least! Only 7 wks or so to go now so it won't be painful forever I suppose.

notasausage Wed 14-Oct-09 14:40:43

Slightly radical but put DH in the spare room for the last few weeks for exactly this reason. Meant I could easily turn over in the double bed to myself so got less sore. Both of us slept better!

1mum1 Fri 30-Oct-09 10:31:39

Anyone had any miracle cures for this yet? Still suffering here and it aches in the day now too sad

maybebaby23 Fri 30-Oct-09 12:54:38

Sorry to hear that 1mum1 sad no miracle cure here im afraid. I feel your pain! lol

choccywhoccydodah Fri 30-Oct-09 14:49:56

* 1mum1* i've been exactly the same - now at 39 wks and competely appreciate the constant turning to try to let one side rest for a bit!!! only thing i find helps sometimes is lying almost on my back but with a pillow under one side so the pressure of the baby is still tilted to one side - it does take a bit of pressure off the hips. I sleep for as long as i can in bed until it's too unbearable and both hips are not recovering and then move to the sofa to sleep sitting up!!!

must say though that it has eased somewhat the last couple of weeks even though i'm a lot heavier!!! BUtr i now face many other aches etc which i won't bore you with!!!

I would def try pillow under one side of back and then tilt to one side as does take it off the hips!!! Hope you manage to get soe relief - i really do feel for you cos it's so unbearable and frustrating!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now