Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

18 weeks pregnant White Blood Cells in urine

(3 Posts)
Deb2202 Fri 02-Oct-09 22:03:01

Hi,

Im 18 weeks pregnant with my first child and am after some advice!

I had a routine urine test taken by my midwife 2 weeks ago, a week after the test I got a letter saying the results were back and to go and do a repeat test (but didnt give a reason why)

I spoke to my midwife who said it wasnt a big deal I had WBC in my urine but no growth (whatever that means) and that WBC were a sign of infection but because there was no growth there was no infection (???). Apparently its common for pregnant woman to have WBC in there urine.

So I did the repeat test and this has come back the same. The doctor rang this time and confused me even more, saying the results are fine although still WBC but what are my symptoms, I said none and she seemed irritated saying why have you had a urine test if you had no symptoms? I said because you sent me a letter telling me to.

So they want to do a 3rd test next week!!! I couldnt get any sense out of her at all.

Is there anyone out there that has had similar problems?

Any help you can give would be great.

MavisEnderby Fri 02-Oct-09 22:06:58

I think that no infection= good,usually wbc are indication of some kind of infection.I guess third test is just precaution,so don't worry too much.Sounds like communication breakdown.If you DO feel unwell contact your midwife.

flyingma Fri 16-Oct-09 18:02:02

I've been reading up a bit today about this as my doc's just sent my urine sample off for testing because he detected WBC and sugar.

I read something about WBC in urine sometimes being contamination from vaginal discharge (sorry, bit gross). Good sign that there is no infection to be found since that's normally the cause of WBC being there.

Also, I take it they took your blood pressure reading and found that normal? WBC + high blood pressure could be signs of pre-eclampsia, I think.

So hopefully they will know what it is for sure with the 3rd test and I am repeating someone else's advice to wipe before giving the sample - in case you did not already!! Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now