Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

trace of ketones in urine?

(8 Posts)
lal123 Thu 01-Oct-09 20:15:46

evening. At midwife check today (36+3)she found a trace of ketones in my urine sample. From googling this could be due to not eating enough - took my sample at about 2pm - by then I'd had 2muffins with black pudding (my one "craving"!) and an apple danish (not a very healthy morning!) - would this count as not enough to eat??

bramblebooks Thu 01-Oct-09 20:32:34

What has she advised? Do you have any other symptoms such as water retention, blood pressure and headaches (is not a midwife but had the whole ketones blood pressure thing with ds2)

lal123 Fri 02-Oct-09 10:28:57

She hasn't advised anything. No other symptoms - nowater retention or headaches. Blood pressure wason the higher side of normal - but has been lower for my last couple of checkups.

JumpingJellyfish Fri 02-Oct-09 10:30:15

A midwife friend told me trace of ketones can mean you're slightly dehydrated- which happens very easily in pregnancy.
It is protein that is related to blood pressure and possible pre-eclampsia, rather than ketones.
Are they following you up? Good luck x

lal123 Fri 02-Oct-09 10:31:45

have my normal check-up next week (my usual midwife wants to keepan eye on my blood pressure - so have been being seen weekly)

sarah293 Fri 02-Oct-09 10:32:20

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 02-Oct-09 10:32:40

Message withdrawn

LifeOfKate Sun 04-Oct-09 19:09:52

Ketones are basically the bi-product of your body burning fat, so can occur if you haven't eaten enough, or regularly, or are dehydrated. They turn up all the time in my urine, even when I have been eating loads all day, so I just figure that's how my body is dealing with pregnancy (it's always been known to shed weight with the smallest excuse, from colds to mouth ulcers). I'm 32 weeks and haven't faded away to nothing yet, in fact I'm amazed that I've put any weight at all after morning sickness for 16 weeks, and now very little room in abdomen for vital organs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now