Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SPD - Anyone else ?

(8 Posts)
Tillyscoutsmum Wed 30-Sep-09 16:54:12

I am 29 weeks pg with dc2 and have recently been diagnosed with SPD. The pain has been getting worse over the last few weeks and I am really concerned about lasting another 11 weeks with it sad

On the advice of the midwife, I have bought a support belt. It does help but is quite uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.

I just wondered if anyone else has/had it. Did physio help at all ? Did it affect the birth ? I am being scanned at 37 weeks as dd was a big baby so they may look to induce early but, whilst I'm quite keen to get this one out I've only really heard bad things about induced labours.

Any experiences/tips would be helpful.

southernbelle77 Wed 30-Sep-09 17:52:17

Not nice is it! I feel your pain as I have it really badly. I am 33 weeks pregnant and have been on crutches since 26 weeks and in agony since 16 weeks. I had it with dd too so it was hardly a suprise, but it has got worse this time.

I had an induced labour with dd (induced early due to spd) and I have to admit to it being a less than joyous experience. I am having a scan next week to check size of baby and see how early I can have it this time. Have been talking to the consultant about having a c-section which right now seems by far the best option, and one which the physio also suggested after dd's birth not being so good.

Sorry not to have a more helpful or positive post

Try and rest up as best you can and I hope you manage ok.

Mama2b5 Wed 30-Sep-09 20:25:44

yes there are other posts trust me your not alone!

bethylou Thu 01-Oct-09 22:16:10

Sorry to hijack, but could you tell me how to get hold of a pelvic belt? Waiting to see the physio but have a month's wait and that seems like a long time at the moment!

I had physio after the birth of my DS and was only told then that the problems I had had prior to the birth were (slightly atypical) SPD. The exercises she gave me got me to a point where I was willing to risk pregnancy again so they must have doen some good, though can't give any experience yet of physio during pregnancy (my midwife kept telling me there was no point in referring me last time and that I should just have a warm bath...gggrrr...)

Sending lots of sympathy and positive thoughts.

milkcrate Fri 02-Oct-09 03:20:44

Poor you, physio really can help but you shouldn't have to wait a month!! I was seen 2 days after midwife referral as both physios and midwives know how debilitating and painful it is. Try to be seen earlier or perhaps privately. I also found craniosacral therapy really helped but no science behind it so don't know why. good luck

southernbelle77 Fri 02-Oct-09 07:15:08

bethylou...

Mothercare do this one

There are also a few here which range in price.

You can also just buy a large tubigrip to wear over your bump and hips which can help too.

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 02-Oct-09 09:49:30

I bought this one from an ebay seller. It does help when I'm out/walking around etc., but they're not something you can wear all day and are uncomfortable if you're not standing up (so even driving to and from places isn't great and its not something you can whip on and off in public blush)

Thanks everyone else for responding.

There's another thread going on atm on the same subject and this website has been recommended. I have found it really helpful

bethylou Fri 02-Oct-09 22:21:35

Thanks for all of the above. I think I will do some nagging of the midwife. She really is rather a waste of space unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now