Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby growth slowing down...

(11 Posts)
Flowerface Wed 30-Sep-09 15:43:01

I am 31 weeks pregnant. For the last few antenatal appointments the baby has been measuring big - about a week over her actual age. Today she has suddenly started measuring on the small side. Although the midwife thinks there is no need for alarm, I AM a bit alarmed... Does anyone know what the possible reasons for a slowing of growth could be? Should I be worried?

timmette Wed 30-Sep-09 16:24:51

Are these ultrasound measurements?

titfertat Wed 30-Sep-09 16:27:48

how big or small are we talking? assuming you mean the fundal height, anything 2cm bigger or smaller than dates is fine. anything more than that is probably still fine but you'd be referred for an ultrasound scan to check.

titfertat Wed 30-Sep-09 16:28:49

don't assume it means growth is slowing - could be a change in fluid volume, or simply that the baby has shifted position

titfertat Wed 30-Sep-09 16:28:50

don't assume it means growth is slowing - could be a change in fluid volume, or simply that the baby has shifted position

titfertat Wed 30-Sep-09 16:29:08

oops blush

Flowerface Wed 30-Sep-09 17:33:12

No, they're not ultrasound, just with a tape measure... They are not sufficiently worried to do an ultrasound yet, which I guess is reassuring...

dal21 Wed 30-Sep-09 17:35:42

Unless the measurements are done via ultrasound, there really is no cause to worry. If they were remotely concerned, you would be going for another scan.

timmette Wed 30-Sep-09 17:58:21

Really wouldn't worry then.

sh77 Thu 01-Oct-09 12:56:20

On my due date, my midwife said I was measuring small for dates using the tape measure. All my growth scans had been fine until 38 weeks but my daughter's growth had slowed in the last 2 weeks. She sent me for an emergency scan, which showed that my placental fluid had dropped in volume. They decided to induce me straight away. I am not saying this is the case with you, but perhaps have a growth scan for reasurrance and don't be fobbed off. Also, look out for any leakage of fluid.

Flowerface Thu 01-Oct-09 15:08:24

I have been 'leaking' in a big way for some weeks (months) now but have been told it's normal discharge rather than amniotic fluid.... Guess we'll just see how the next week goes. I don't really know what the causes of slowed growth might be, is all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now