Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Starving hungry and headachey now

(8 Posts)
Thingiebob Tue 29-Sep-09 17:55:04

I'm 26 weeks and in the last fortnight my appetite has quadrupled. I've gone from finding it hard to finish what is on my plate and putting on very little weight to constantly hungry and thinking about food all the time. Is this normal?

I was a size 16 when I got pregnant and got the usual lectures about cutting down on what I eat and not putting on too much weight. Which was fine, although if any of the midwifes cared to check my medical history they would see that I have spent the last few years on high dose steroids due to an immune system disorder and having periods of restricted mobility for months at a time. all of which contributed to my weight going up six stone. It wasn't all about me eating too many pies! As it happened, as soon as I got pregnant my condition went into remission, I was taken off steroids and actually lost weight initially.
I'm terrified of piling on the weight again and actually enjoyed not feeling hungry all the time (side effect of steroids) and feeling more comfortable in my skin.
Suddenly though as I feel as though I am back on the steroids! I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, I wake up in the morning starving hungry, and if I don't eat regularly I turn psychotic according to my DH. I wonder if my blood sugar is dropping or too high?

I am due to for GTT test and am a bit scared that I may have GD.
Or is this all normal for this stage of pregnancy. My BMI is 33.

Thingiebob Tue 29-Sep-09 19:49:22

No-one?
Well I'm off to scoff a takeaway now.

bubbubbump Tue 29-Sep-09 19:49:28

Hi

I am on 2nd pregnancy and first one I ate like a horse. As soon as morning sickness was over I had moments when I just had to eat. Use to phone on the way home from work giving how many minutes until I got home if dinner wasn't on the table I get angry or start crying!!! Completely irrational but it calmed down as I headed towards the end of the pregnancy.

Remember you are growing a real little person at the moment and all the energy that your body requires to do that. Try to eat well and try grazing on healthy snacks.

Hope you start to feel better.

Thingiebob Tue 29-Sep-09 19:58:05

Ah phew! That's the kind of thing I do!
I cry and get angry. My DH thinks I'm a bit mad.

bubbubbump Tue 29-Sep-09 20:05:28

I eat about 6 times a day at the moment and only 8 weeks so god knows how big i'll get.

Lost it all and more really quickly after having my litte boy though so hoping for repeat process.

I say eat when your hungry and lots of quick to get to foods. Oh, also after baby was born I had pile of marmite and cheese sandwiches which I use to devour about 4am everyday while feeding him.

Good luck!

Thingiebob Tue 29-Sep-09 20:13:54

Marmite and cheese! I'll remember that.

MrsMc82 Tue 29-Sep-09 22:50:09

I'm 24 weeks and for last month or so i've been getting STARVING and it just creeps up on me REALLY quickly so on minute i'll be fine and the next all i can think is "FEED ME NOW! "
husband is used to it now but does think i'm loopy to get so cross if i don't eat instantly!
Am now in habit of having snacks with me - little boxes of raisans and dried fruit are in my bag at all times! X

blossomx Tue 29-Sep-09 22:58:16

Aww, snacks wherever you go is a good idea! Im 23 weeks, and when im hungry i have to eat, i get extreme hunger pains that bloody hurt !!! Best just to eat as soon as, whether its a snack or meal! I must admit i've been eating bad lately, lots of biscuits and dr pepper sad i feel guilty !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now