Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cold remedies in pregnancy??

(8 Posts)
laurawantsababy Tue 29-Sep-09 07:47:06

What do you guys take? Are Lemsips ok?? I have strepsils but wont eat the packet in one go like normal!

My throat is killing today but that is all at the moment. Im just hoping its not the dreaded s.flu.

flybynight Tue 29-Sep-09 09:33:43

Lemsip isn't recommended during pregnancy I'm afraid. I've just come through a horrible cold with paracetemol and Olbas oil at night (and I'm sure that some people would question the Olbas oil, but hey, there has to be a balance).

I've read that Strepsils aren't recommended either, although I'm struggling to imagine what harm they could do...

Honey and lemon drinks, with a couple of paracetemol. And try to get some sleep. Best cure there is.

flybynight Tue 29-Sep-09 09:40:23

I was right about the Olbas oil: saw this on another website

The use of Olbas during pregnancy or breast feeding can no longer be recommended.

The details in the licence are:

There are no or limited amount of data from the use of Olbas Oil in pregnant women. Animal studies are insufficient with respect to reproductive toxicity. Olbas Oil should not be used during pregnancy unless potential benefits outweigh any risks. It is unknown whether Olbas Oil /metabolites are excreted in human or animal milk. However, at therapeutic doses of Olbas Oil no effects on the breastfed newborns/infants are anticipated. Nevertheless it is not recommended that Olbas Oil be used during breast feeding.

PurplePillow Tue 29-Sep-09 09:43:13

Heat lemonade with a spoonfull of sugar and take paracetamol works similar to lemsip but without the harmfull to baby stuff.

Really does work grin

MamaG Tue 29-Sep-09 09:44:36

When I was pg, i took paracetamol and drank hot water mixed with lemon juice and honey to soothe my throat

poor you

laurawantsababy Tue 29-Sep-09 10:51:49

Thanks all. Why cant they make something safe for pregnant women to take?

Will get some natural honey and lemon and a bag of sugar smile

woowa Tue 29-Sep-09 11:08:09

Along those lines, can we take Benylin for coughs? My pharmacist says to just eat neat honey, but it isn't as longlasting as benylin, and the coughing is starting to make bump ache and pelvic floor muscles weak. Can't go on like this!

BiscuitStuffer Tue 29-Sep-09 22:10:44

Fizzy water for coughs. It really does work. Cheapo own brand stuff is fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now