Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How soon after a c section can i think about conceiving again?

(15 Posts)
rosieposey Mon 28-Sep-09 22:48:37

I know this has probably been done to death but i have seen some conflicting advice on tinternet about conception times after a c section. I dont want to wait too long as im 38 this coming January.

My DS is my 4th but from my second marriage and my three older girls are all ranging in age from early to late teens - id really like him to grow up with a sibling fairly close in age but tbh i was told by a midwife after my c section to wait 18 months and im a bit worried that if i wait that long i might really be compromising my fertility.

I have also seen an obstetrician online advise starting ttc from about 9 months (especially if age is an issue). Obviously i dont want to compromise mine or my future babies health by getting pregnant too quickly but as he is 1 in Feb i was thinking about getting started in early Jan ... too soon?

Am not sure if it makes any difference but i have T2 diabetes as well and the consultant didnt say anything about how long to wait before getting pregnant again just to make sure that i had some pre conception advice and started on insulin again before i get pregnant again.

Thanks for any advice in advance

rosieposey Mon 28-Sep-09 23:08:05

bump

mamaloco Tue 29-Sep-09 07:00:45

After my CS they told me to wait 2 years for the next one. (I was almost 36, I am now 40)
Try to have a preconception meeting with an independant consultant (recomanded preferably), write all your questions in advance on a piece of paper and don't be ashamed to pull it out during the interview. I am usually so impressed by the doctors that I forget most of the questions without it.
If I were you I would wait a bit more than that but obviously it is ultimately your choice... and your GP, MW will support you and give you the appropriate care.
Saying that my scar does hurt a bit in my 2nd pg after 5y, I wouldn't imagine what it would have been at less than 18 months.

mumoverseas Tue 29-Sep-09 09:51:20

hi rosie where have you been? grin
Good to see you are ok although clearly a little crazy to be thinking about it so soon (on a OMG how many babies/toddlers level as opposed to on any medical level)

Don't worry about age, I was 41 when DS was born and DD was then 2.4 and my last three 'deliveries' have been CS.

If you were to conceive now, it would have been almost 18 months between sections. I would imagine you'd just need to be very careful not to go into labour before a planned CS but I'm sure you'd get lots of proper support and guidance once you are pregnant.

Hope everything goes ok for you and make sure you come back and join us Fab Febbers xxx

Mzkittie Tue 29-Sep-09 09:53:05

I was told to wait a year... But heck i cant wait that long!!

Poledra Tue 29-Sep-09 09:57:36

I was told to wait a year after my section. DD2 was born almost exactly 2 years after DD1 with no problems from my scar, other than it itching like buggery when it stretched grin

CuntWhacker Tue 29-Sep-09 10:01:12

I was told 6 months.

Golda Tue 29-Sep-09 10:04:45

I was told at my postnatal check that I didn't have to wait at all hmm.

mears Tue 29-Sep-09 10:07:07

I am not sure that there is any god evidence out there stating how long you should wait to get pregnanct after a C Section.

As a midwife I see women get pregnant within the first year of birth. I am not aware of any disastrous outcomes.

My 42 year old DS was considering conceiving again 6 months after her CS. Her consultant was OK about that plan. She changed her mind though.

Mitchell81 Tue 29-Sep-09 10:07:29

I fell pregnant 14 months after having DS1 and it was my 3rd section.

sarah293 Tue 29-Sep-09 10:18:59

Message withdrawn

mrsdisorganised Tue 29-Sep-09 10:24:00

I think it must depend on the individual and how well she heals after c-sections, you know your own body and how fit you are.

I have had 4 c-sections and having my 5th and last in 4 weeks time. We went to see our consultant to talk through risks etc before conceiving and he was very confident which makes a huge difference.
My dcs are 9,7,5 and 2, this is the only pregnancy I have felt more discomfort along the scar line with, although really isn't that bad. DH works away from home so I probably do too much and alot is down to not resting!

Hope all goes well in what you decide smile

tostaky Tue 29-Sep-09 10:45:25

I was told to wait a year but I just couldnt wait and got PG by the time my first was 7 months!

cutekids Tue 29-Sep-09 11:29:15

hi Rosie...dunno if it's "right" or not but I had my 2nd C.Section 12months after my 1st and my 3rd C.Section 12 months after my 2nd!!!! Obviously,I conceived exactly 3 months after each one smile

rosieposey Tue 29-Sep-09 12:16:26

Thanks for all your replies - i think i might personally wait till DS is one in Feb and go for the appt with the consultant then get cracking so to speak grin But it is very reassuring to see so many of you having had your babies in fairly close succession after a c section.

mos I have been really busy trying to move ect ect so haven't been on much - tried to catch up yesterday though. Am just considering my options as starting to think about a sibling for DS next year or possibly the year after.

I think i healed fairly quickly - it didnt hurt at all within a few short weeks although is still numb but i think thats pretty par for the course iyswim. I just dont want to leave it too late or 'do it' too early for my already knackered body to cope with so will probably (almost certainly) leave it a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now